Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PURCHASE TEMPLATE: LAPTOP:2G OR 4G?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 C.PAUL B.

C.PAUL B.

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

So here's our situation:  My wife and I went on Craigslist and found laptops starting at $100. We were replacing the one she had and getting one for me. We bought her original one at a laptop fixit store and it had 1g ram. So when we found these 2g and one with a dvd player for $l00 ea. , we jumped on it. They work good and our friends were impressed. One of them has 2 girls in high school, one also in community college. Both want laptops for school. They think they need 4g on each. The parents are clueless and so they want me to negotiate. I am not much better. I am 59 and not real sure what makes a laptop fast. is it the processor or memory or both? Do the girls need 4g or more? They also want big screens. What are the advantages/disadvantages of that? I want to do right by these girls so I need all the help I can get.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

If they are running Windows 7 or 8, 4GB or better is what I would recommend.  Since Windows XP is no longer being updated by Microsoft this time next month I'd be looking for a Windows 7 or 8 machine.

I am not a fan of laptops and only use them for work.  I only recommend laptops for people who need the portability, taking them to class for example.  If all they need is computer access a desktop is a better investment, more machine for less money.  Plus desktops don't get stolen as often as laptops.

The bigger the screen, the bigger the price tag.

Memory is the biggest bang for the buck upgrade you can do for a computer.  While the processor has a lot to do with speed if you don't have enough RAM extra data will be stored to the hard drive making the machine slower.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users