Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thermal compound question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Amna Umen

Amna Umen

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:13 AM

Good morning I just had a quick question.

While building my first PC in years I was testing to see which way the heat sink went in relation to my motherboard and CPU. the heat sink was on the CPU for less than 5 seconds and when I took the heat sink off to put it on the right orientation there was a little bit of the thermal compound on the CPU. Should I reapply the compound or was it on there for short enough for it to not seal? When I started the computer it ran in the BIOS at about 30-35 degrees Celsius. Is this a normal temperature for a six-core processor? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

It sounds like it's OK.  The temperature in BIOS suggests the heatsink was correctly attached, but if it gets too hot while running you'll know.  If the heatsink was tightened down and removed then it should be reapplied IMO. Clean it up with alcohol or similar and reapply a small amount to the center of the CPU.  If it was just resting there and a bit of the pre-applied paste was left on the CPU, I wouldn't be too concerned myself.  The pressure of the cooler on the CPU should even it out.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

Thanks and you're my favorite customer!

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

That's me!  No problem :)

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

If you applied thermal paste, then pulled the cooler off, you could have trapped air bubbles if you don't reapply, which may damage the CPU. However, running at 30-35 degrees C is very good for a six-core, you should be fine.

mYIGVc5.png

#6 Amna Umen

Amna Umen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

It's been running around 45-50 degrees Celsius playing games and 35-45 in normal operations since I started running it. I think it's ok. I may order some compound and reapply it down the line if it starts to act up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users