Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No wireless access on my wireless capable laptop.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 erock0915

erock0915

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:57 AM

I have a Samsung Notebook that up until last summer, connected to wireless networks just fine. It has since stopped working with WiFi. It still works when plugged into the network with an Ethernet cord. I have tried it at other locations like McDonald's or coffee shops, and it won't connect there either. So far, I have restarted/rebooted my laptop multiple times, tried to troubleshoot the connection, and uninstalled the network on my laptop. When troubleshooting, it always says that the wireless is turned off even when it's on. Also, when it's on, it says that there are no detectable networks. I just recently uninstalled the network on my laptop and I'm not sure that it has re-installed completely.  Every time I restart my laptop, it says that it has detected software that it views as essential. When I give it the okay to install them, it says that a reboot is necessary to normalize the system. After it turns back on, it gives me the same message about the software and the same ones need installed, one or more of them being the network I uninstalled.

I really need help here. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If you need anymore information, I'll do my best to oblige. 

Thank you for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

What exactly do you mean by "uninstalled the network"? Did you uninstall the adapter through Device Manager?

Have you gone to the Samsung website to see if the network drivers are available for your model? If not, please do so. If there, download and save to your computer.

Uninstall the network device through Device Manager. Reboot the computer. Let Windows find the device. It will install generic Windows drivers. Then install the drivers you downloaded.

Did you at any point reinstall the network drivers?

There is also the possibility that your wireless networking device has gone bad. In that case, you can purchase a wireless USB network adapter which would be a lot cheaper than having it repaired or buying a new laptop.

#3 erock0915

erock0915
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

Yes, I uninstalled the wireless adapter through the device manager. I went to the Samsung website and chatted with a technician. They told me to install SW Update. The networks may or may not have been reinstalled. They don't show up in the device manager, but the last time I rebooted the computer, it didn't ask to install the necessary software. 

The SW Update has gotten to a standstill and isn't making any progress. 

How is it possible for the wireless receiver to go bad? That's not something I thought was a thing.

An update-- I don't think the network drives are reinstalled. The Samsung System Software box showed up again and shows that the following need installed:

Wireless LAN Driver,  Adobe Flash Player ActiveX, Windows 7 Common Patch(es), and Windows 7 Critical Update(es).

I'm so lost that it's not funny.

If you can help, I would consider you a Godsend.

Edited by erock0915, 13 March 2014 - 05:33 PM.

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Yes wireless cards in laptops can go bad and do all the time. I'm not sure what SW update the tech was talking about, but if you go to the site can you find the wireless drivers for your laptop's wireless card? If you can then follow what Queen-Eve instructed you to do. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 erock0915

erock0915
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:14 PM

Thank you both so much. I went to the website and downloaded the software (Wireless LAN,INTEL (Driver) (ver.15.0.0.75)) and ran the Setup.exe and now everything is running great. My laptop is finally connected to the wireless network.

Thanks again for all your help!

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Thank you for letting us know. Happy, safe surfing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users