Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC wont boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 xendistar

xendistar

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

I have a PC that has a Asus P8H61 motherboard that wont boot. The PC runs linux (Xubuntu 13:10) and had run continuously for a 131 days. I had the need to reboot the PC and when I did it would only boot as far as the Bios banner screen, it never even got to POST. Can anybody advise , is this likely to be a motherboard problem or  PSU problem or something else.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:16 PM

Disconnect any hard drives, disc drives, etc. You got to the splash screen which is a good sign, I have seen many failing hard drives or disc drives cause freezing.

Try to get the computer to complete a post and go into the bios. It could be any piece of hardware that is causing the full post failure/freeze. If removing the hard drive/disc drives did not work, remove all add in cards, pci, pcie (use onboard video if you have it). Disconnect case front usb/audio headers from the motherboard.

You can try 1 stick of ram in 1 slot only, remove extra ram. If that fails and you have a 2nd stick try that in each slot alone as well. Reset the cmos by unplugging  the computer and pulling out the cmos battery or use the clear cmos jumper. These are the first things to try. While you are at it, inspect for damaged or shorting pins in your usb ports, these can cause failures as well.

Edited by zingo156, 13 March 2014 - 12:18 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users