Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Occasional BSOD with debutfilterx64.sys

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Grammaton485

Grammaton485

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:39 AM

Hi y'all,

I'm having a somewhat tentative issue with my computer blue screening coming out of hibernation or standby. I'm currently running Windows 8.1.

After waking, my internet browser will suddenly stutter and freeze. I get an error about shockwave flash not responding, or failing, I can't remember exactly. Stopping the plugin returns things to normal. Having it try to continue just leads to another lock up and error message.

However, after stopping the plugin, the computer blue screens a few seconds later, usually when trying to get to another website, with an error with debutfilterx64.sys. This error occurs once every several months, I'd wager, and is very infrequent. The shockwave flash error sometimes doesn't even lead to a crash.

I'm told this is associated with debut media software, specifically the Debut Video Capture, though I did not voluntarily install this to my knowledge, and I am the sole user of this laptop. However, the driver is clearly on my computer.

I took this to microsoft, and their solution was to uninstall the program, which I was unable to do through the programs manager or revo uninstaller. The solution was to then rename the driver to .old instead of .sys. However, on restarting, my audio system was completely broken, unable to play any music or sound and saying there was an issue with real tek audio. It was unable to automatically fix the issue. Renaming the debut driver to .sys solved that, so they seem to be directly related.

Microsoft then directed me to try and remove NCH software on my computer by doing some registry work, but I was unable to follow their directions because too many steps were not correct (ie, it was telling me to work with files and items that weren't on my computer).

DMP file is on my skydrive during the last crash I had:

https://onedrive.live.com/#cid=57A5E3A0E2066DE0&id=57A5E3A0E2066DE0!151

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:33 AM

Hi

As you said earlier, crash dump seems to blame debutfilterx64.sys as the reason behind the crashes.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80002603156, ffffd0003b9c2a10, 0}

Probably caused by : debutfilterx64.sys ( debutfilterx64+3156 )

Since we don't know which program actually installed it ( probably came as part of an OEM pre-installed software )  , i would suggest updating the driver to the latest version as a test. If i assumed correctly, installing the latest version of Debut Video Capturing software will update the existing driver automatically and properly. So download and install the latest version from the below link.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/debutpsetup.exe

Hope this help you.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 March 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#3 Grammaton485

Grammaton485
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi

As you said earlier, crash dump seems to blame debutfilterx64.sys as the reason behind the crashes.

BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff80002603156, ffffd0003b9c2a10, 0}

Probably caused by : debutfilterx64.sys ( debutfilterx64+3156 )

Since we don't know which program actually installed it ( probably came as part of an OEM pre-installed software )  , i would suggest updating the driver to the latest version as a test. If i assumed correctly, installing the latest version of Debut Video Capturing software will update the existing driver automatically and properly. So download and install the latest version from the below link.

http://www.nchsoftware.com/capture/debutpsetup.exe

Anshad,

Given the track record that NCH Software has, I can almost guanantee you it was not OEM software. I doubt Microsoft, or Asus (my computer manufacturer), would put something supposedly as invasive as NCH Software in their computers (also, the NCH software folder in programs was created 6 months after I purchased the computer). I've read several topics on how difficult those programs are to remove, and how uninstalling them usually leaves leftover files that try to reinstall useless ad programs. All of this is also noted right on the NCH Software wikipedia page. Their customer support is also a complete scam.

In all likelihood, I probably picked it up when I downloaded a codec in the last 6+ months. While things like MBAM or my Norton AVS don't flag it, it does appear in AdwCleaner scans, though I've yet to delete any files.

So suffice it to say, I will not be updating anything from the NCH website, let alone any NCH products.

Edited by Grammaton485, 13 March 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:21 AM

I took this to microsoft, and their solution was to uninstall the program, which I was unable to do through the programs manager or revo uninstaller

Is this program can be seen on the program list ?. If not, installing the software will give you the option to remove it properly. If you are scared to install it, create a "System Restore point" before proceeding. This will give you the option to revert the system to the previous state.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 13 March 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#5 Grammaton485

Grammaton485
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:25 AM

Anshad,
No, there are no NCH programs in the program list. The NCH Software directory in program files does not contain any uninstall programs, either.

#6 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• BC Advisor
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:29 AM

Hi

Here is a similar issue caused by the same program.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/299372-bsod-upon-booting-error-0x0000003b-4-times-last-month.html

It was resolved by running program's own uninstaller. Like i said earlier, create a restore point and install the program. Then remove it from "Control Panel".

#7 Grammaton485

Grammaton485
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:50 AM

Anshad,
I am at work right now, so I will try this over the next 24 hours. I will keep you up to date.

#8 samuraiz

samuraiz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:22 AM

I know this is an old topic but I had the same problem.  I finally just uninstalled Debut and here is hoping that all is now well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users