Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Strange Hybrid: O/s 2000-and Then Some

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wallpaper1

Wallpaper1

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 09:02 PM

Hello everyone. My name is Wallpaper1 and this is my first posting.

I have 2 questions. I'll ask the most pressing one first.

1. I have an old computer with an o/s that is part 2000/NT/97/ and then some. It was given to me and I think that for the most part, it's 2000....or something. I'd like to get rid of it altogether, and start from scratch, but I don't have any "boot cd's" or passwords. What do I need to do? (I know very little about computers, obviously :thumbsup: )

2. The sound on my computer doesn't work. It has wmp and quicktime installed and working, but there is no sound. How do I fix this? :huh:

Thx in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 11:51 PM

You have several options, from Linux full or Live to Windows 2000/XP/9x/ME. I would recommend Windows 2000 Pro if your computer is very old. It is a well supported and a stable system that work very well on older computers, P-III 500mhz and older.
What are the specification on your computer?

Edited by acklan, 15 May 2006 - 11:51 PM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Wallpaper1

Wallpaper1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:04 AM

Thank you acklan. I've decided the ol' heap might not be completely scrap worthy, just yet. I do appreciate the info. Since you brought up Linux, I'd like to ask a question. Do you use it, and if so, how would you rate its ease of use? (off topic, I know, sorry)
Concerning the stability, I think this computer is fine with the current state. Some investigation has rendered a little more satisfaction. I definitely plan on acquiring linux, though.....

thx

Edited by Wallpaper1, 17 May 2006 - 10:06 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2006 - 10:45 AM

I am not a Linux expert,but I have been running a Live Linux on a computer that handles just web surfing and chat. It will have four window with 12 chat room between them. I have been using it for ove a year.

http://www.puppylinux.org
http://www.puppyos.com

You can run it from a CD.
From a hard drive.
Thumb drive.
Compact flash.

It is only a 50mb download. Only 109mb if you download Chubby Puppy. Chub has OpenOffice intergrated.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Macky

Macky

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2006 - 07:28 PM

I've used fedora core (not a "live linux") before and I like the operating system, I went back to Windows XP because I could not get fedora core to accept my wireless card no matter waht I did. And I was not going to buy 60 feet of cable to connect my computer to the router.
It's pretty easy to understand on the User Interface side. But it can get pretty complex with the commands and such. Definitely not a system to use if you're *totally* new to computers. But I think its understandable for the most part.

Live linux is nice (I use knoppix, loads from CD), I'd use linux live and windows *combined* , boot off of linux until you're POSITIVE you've got it down, then you can install it permanently and get rid of the windows. At least if it all fails, you can go back to the comfort of windows, NT, 2000, 97 hybrid :thumbsup:
I have defied gods, and demons. I am your shield, I am your sword. I know you, your past, your future. This is the way the world ends. --4 lines of cortana from Halo 3

#6 Wallpaper1

Wallpaper1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

:thumbsup:
Thx for the link and info, guys.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 08:05 PM

By the way, what do you mean by "hybrid"?

Win 2K Pro was evolved from NT. How could one make a hybrid?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users