Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browsers - Not happy with Firefox or IE Explorer, Anyone tried Opera?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JayJax

JayJax

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

I have in the past been happy with Firefox but like everything else, no one knows how to leave a good thing alone.   So often I find I cannot connect, for example, with my DISQUS account - it says its logging me in - then redirects me and then takes me back to where I was, same thing with several other sites.

So I have downloaded Opera which I used to like fairly well but now I can't figure out how to do anything with it - tuturials say go to "Settings" which is all well and good and I would be more than happy to do so but I can't find settings, I can't find how to set the home page (so they say go to settings duh), can't find how to personalize the toolbar - I have the feeling this is not going to go well but now that I've got it I'd like to at least give it a shot but so far I can't do anything.

I do not know where Settings can be found.

Has anyone used Opera?   What's your take on it.

I haven't much trust in Google as far as privacy and not snitching/selling us out to the "authorities".   I tried Safari and removed it, I can't remember why but I didn't like it.

Tell me please that there IS A GOOD program out therd and help me find it? :dance:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:05 PM

I REALLY LIKE and i wish more sites would take advantage of sites that instead of sending you on a wild chase to find something, would use a link to take you there.   Like instead of Opera telling me that to customize the toolbar I need to go to settings - they would give me a link to Settings.  Since I can't locate settings it does little good to tell me to go there.   

It seems like so much of the time that trying to do just about anything only raises more questions so I go away with more questions than I ahd when i cam for help?

Edited by JayJax, 12 March 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#3 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:57 PM

Can't help much with Opera, it seems to have gone the way of Firefox(can't leave a good thing alone).

I've found that Pale Moon is an excellent Firefox alternative, based on the Firefox core code.

• It's optimized for Windows
  • It is not constantly being changed just for the sake of change.
  • It's compatible with most Firefox add-ons/extensions.
  • It's stable, fast and slightly lighter on resources than Firefox.
  • It does not follow the Firefox rapid release pattern either.  If however, there is a security release of Firefox(that affects Windows) then there will be a security release for Pale Moon as well.

A little more info: Pale Moon (web browser) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The UI is highly configurable.  For instance, if you like the tab bar above the address bar, just select "Tabs on Top" from the tab bar context menu.  Or maybe you would like to emulate Firefox's status pop-up instead of the default status bar(tools>status bar options).

IMO, it has maintained the rich feature set of Firefox that Mozilla has been whittling away, while not introducing un-wanted changes(by me anyway) and new bugs on a rapid release schedule.

#4 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:58 AM

Open Opera, click on Opera button at the top-left corner of Opera window, then click on Settings. You can also directly open Opera Settings page by pressing ALT+P keys together.

Introduction to Opera

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#5 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

Can't help much with Opera, it seems to have gone the way of Firefox(can't leave a good thing alone).

I've found that Pale Moon is an excellent Firefox alternative, based on the Firefox core code.

• It's optimized for Windows
  • It is not constantly being changed just for the sake of change.
  • It's compatible with most Firefox add-ons/extensions.
  • It's stable, fast and slightly lighter on resources than Firefox.
  • It does not follow the Firefox rapid release pattern either.  If however, there is a security release of Firefox(that affects Windows) then there will be a security release for Pale Moon as well.

A little more info: Pale Moon (web browser) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

The UI is highly configurable.  For instance, if you like the tab bar above the address bar, just select "Tabs on Top" from the tab bar context menu.  Or maybe you would like to emulate Firefox's status pop-up instead of the default status bar(tools>status bar options).

IMO, it has maintained the rich feature set of Firefox that Mozilla has been whittling away, while not introducing un-wanted changes(by me anyway) and new bugs on a rapid release schedule.

Thanks, I appreciate your advice and other information.  I'll definitely check that out, it sounds good to me.  There is something to be said for "leaving good-enough alone" - glad to see someone else who also sees the value.

#6 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:13 AM

Open Opera, click on Opera button at the top-left corner of Opera window, then click on Settings. You can also directly open Opera Settings page by pressing ALT+P keys together.

Introduction to Opera

Thanks for the tips - now that you have pointed out the location of the settings I wonder why I didn't see it before.   But in honesty there is so much stuff that bombards you, advertisements, settings, references etc that what you are looking for gets lost in the overload.   I'll get my preferences changed and evaluate for myself whether Opera represents a good browser based on my needs etc.   I dislike having to abandon something i set out to do before actually being able to try it out.  Thanks again.  

#7 JayJax

JayJax
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:17 AM

Both of these responses have been really helpful.   Bleeping Computer is my go-to choice for help with computer-related issues.  

I keep returning here and everything is still set up pretty much the same way which I appreciate no one has turned it upside down and made it impossible to find stuff.

The content is always being updated with new information, but the functionality remains the same, THANK YOU.

#8 anniyan

anniyan

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

i must warn you, ever since opera shifted from presto engine to chromium engine (in other words, from its own engine to being a chrome clone), it is very bad. add to it they took away bookmarks and replaced it with speeddials and stash which cannot be exported very easily out of it, to the best of my knowledge, literally arresting those data. till now they did not reply to those queries on opera official f*ceb**k page. and the tutorials in the opera website are outdated, pertaining to the presto opera, and they did not care to update it till now. and what more, they took off many useful feature that chrome has too :( and my installation keeps overwriting my chrome profile, i dont know why. IMHO, opera is bad as of now.

http://www.howtogeek.com/167391/use-these-work-arounds-to-resolve-missing-feature-issues-in-opera-15/

Edited by anniyan, 15 March 2014 - 02:15 PM.

Become a BleepingComputer fan on Facebook
Have you seen.....Select Real Security

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users