Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb wireless mouse stopped working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Paulus23

Paulus23

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:00 PM

Hi, first time poster to the forums so sorry if i break any rules. 

The problem i am having is that I unplugged my mother in laws usb mouse dongle to use the mouse on my other computer. When I plugged the dongle in my computer (windows 7) it didn't recognize it (didn't work or come up with any notifications). I assumed it must need drivers so plugged it back in my mother in laws computer, only it didn't work when I plugged it back in and now I have a mother in law with a useless computer and its my fault :(

I have tried turning it off and on, unplugging it and plugging it in again, checking device manager (no errors but nothing changes when i plug in the dongle) and i even changed the battery's.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any extra information needed I will do my best to post it. 

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 12 March 2014 - 06:54 PM.
Moved to External Hardware

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:47 PM

First of all, welcome to BC !

Since hell hath no fury like a mother-in-law with a non-working mouse, either I or somebody else will have to find a solution to this problem !

The first thing that comes to mind is that the drivers may have become corrupted. You fail to say what make of wireless mouse this is, nor to give any information about the two computers involved except that your own is running Win 7 - this information is useful !  However.

To uninstall the wireless mouse drivers, click 'Start - Control panel - Programs and features'. Then, if it were a Logitech mouse, just look for anything that suggests it is a Logitech wireless mouse driver and uninstall it. Replace 'Logitech' with the brand of mouse you have. This is on Win 7. If the other computer is running Win 8, the procedure is slightly different :- Top right corner 'Charms - Settings - Control panel - Programs and features'.

Then re-install the driver software on both computers, then you will be able to borrow it again, if she has forgiven you !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#3 Paulus23

Paulus23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:15 AM

Thanks for the fast response, I hope your sympathy doesn't come from first hand experience with a mother in law problem.

There is nothing in the program and features settings that i could see that suggests a mouse driver.

Both computers are running windows 7. The mouse has no visible brand so i assume it was a ebay special. In device manager the only thing listed is a "HID- compliant mouse". The listed usb controllers are generic hub, pci to usb host controiller, openhcd host controler, composite device and two root hubs. 

In a bit of a rush this morning but should be able to have a better look tonight. 

Once again thanks for the fast response.

Paul 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

I swap mouses and key boards pretty regular, when that on super rare occation happens I go into control panel delete the mouse and reboot so far no failures doing so.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 Paulus23

Paulus23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

Give that a go but still no luck. I have order a new mouse because I needed one for my computer anyway, so I will give that a go when it turns up and let you know. 

Thanks Paul

#6 Paulus23

Paulus23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:06 AM

Just to let you know that a new mouse fixed my problem. When I plugged in the usb dongle windows recognized it and it worked almost straight away. Must have been the old dongle. Strange why it worked before. Thanks for everybody's help.

Paul

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,152 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

Thanks for letting everyone know of your success.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users