Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer doesn't boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Meriantok

Meriantok

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

Hello this is my first post so be gentle.

I've got an old pc on which I switched motherboard (ms 7641) cpu (amd fx 6100) gpu (nvidia gts 450)
and 2x 4gb corsair ram

It used to run ok (that's another issue) till I decided to give it a proper cleaning.

So after removing the pieces cleaning them (with a blower) and putting them back on (I also opened the power supply and cleaned its fan) I tried to open it but it failed.

I could hear the power up all the fans working but no signal on my monitor. I triple checked the power connections I removed the hardware and put it on again but nothing. Tried booting up with one ram or the other as well as clearing cmos with no luck.

Any idea would be usefull.

Thanks in advance

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2014 - 04:53 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MakeItBetter

MakeItBetter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

so...break this down...

Power supply works...for some things...

...but not all, right?

first, summarize which things you KNOW are getting power...

and which aren't ... (are hard drives coming on? What LIGHTS do you see coming on...)

...and check the complete "chain" for the power for each item which is not powering on...from the power switch on the monitor to making sure the power cord is plugged into a WORKING electrical socket...

From your description, I'm not certain whether you are actually not booting, or whether you are booting, but you just can't see it because your monitor is not coming on ...

...but maybe I've missed something ?

Hope this helps...I know it can be frustrating...

Thanks a Million...

Jann

#3 Meriantok

Meriantok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Ok so
Cpu fan is running which is powered by the motherboard so I guess Im ok there

Not really sure about the hd it seems to work but the light that used to light up on the front is dead (wouldn't I be able to boot bios even without hd?)

Keyboard is powered

Gpu fan running but not sure about gpu (tried booting with the onboard didn't work)

I checked the power chain many times as well as tried mixing it up without result

No lights come up :(

I doubt that some blowing could actually damage the hardware but is it possible?

Thanks a lot for your time

Edited by Meriantok, 12 March 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#4 acerts04

acerts04

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

did you make sure everything was compatible? for example, you ram and motherboard?

also did you check to make sure that you FULLY seated each ram stick into the dimms. you should hear a click when you insert each stick of memory

"In real life, the hardest aspect of the battle between good and evil is determining which is which."

#5 Meriantok

Meriantok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

The pc was running before I decided to clean it so there isn't any compatibility issue and yes i've spent 2-3 hours taking things off and on again so the ram connection is ok as well

Thanks for your thoughts on it

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

Try resetting the BIOS... you can do this by removing the CMOS battery (remove the power first) and then holding down the power button for about 30 secs.

#7 Meriantok

Meriantok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Tried resetting the bios but the problem persists.

Could the gpu be underpowered and that's why there's no signal? Wouldn't the onboard one at least show me something?

I'll have a friend come over with his tower to check individual parts, see how it goes

I've started thinking the dust o cleaned prevented a short circuit on the motherboard or something
I'm at my wits end

#8 Meriantok

Meriantok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

So checked different power supply other gpu as well as plugging another tower on my monitor which worked fine.
Looks like dead mobo

Edited by Meriantok, 13 March 2014 - 10:50 AM.

#9 Meriantok

Meriantok
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:25 AM

So in conclusion, took my motherboard for checking. They didn't find anything wrong and as I took it back and connected everything back on it worked just fine :s

My guess would be short circuit from static electricity

Anyways thanks for your help

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:54 PM

lol... I fix machines all the time by doing this too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users