Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Information Technology $2,400 “Introduction to Linux” course will be free and on

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,443 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

$2,400 “Introduction to Linux” course will be free and online this summer

Tried to edit the topic but couldn't, sorry.

For people interested in learning something about linux.

Earlier this week, The Linux Foundation announced that it would be working with edX, a non-profit online learning site governed by Harvard and MIT, to make its “Introduction to Linux” course free and open to all.

The Linux Foundation has long offered a wide variety of training courses through its website, but those can generally cost upwards of $2,000. This introductory class, which usually costs $2,400, will be the first from the Linux Foundation to run as a Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). There is no limit on enrollment through edX's platform.

The course will be held this summer, although an official start date has not been posted yet. Jennifer Cloer, Director of Communications for the Linux Foundation, said that over 2,500 people signed up for the course within the first 24 hours of it being posted. There are no prerequisites, and a note on the course's information page says that most users will find the course takes between 40 and 60 hours to complete.

Students can either audit the course, which means they'd get access to all the course materials but not have to commit to completing the tests and assignments, or they can take the course for a certificate of completion, which will be offered for free. (On some edX classes, "verified certificates of achievement" cost a fee.)

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/2400-introduction-to-linux-course-will-be-free-and-online-this-summer/

https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 March 2014 - 04:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

I've signed up. Curious to see what they will teach :)

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

And by extension what you'll teach me... :wink:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#4 AlexSmithFanning

AlexSmithFanning

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Might be able to teach me some things...  I'm quite a new Linux user myself.

I prefer Linux. Windows 10 is just to invasive for me.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2014 - 04:06 AM

Hi fellow classmates. Yes I joined too.

“Introduction to Linux”

I bet it's more involved than the Introduction to Windows. LOL

Edited by NickAu1, 22 March 2014 - 04:46 AM.

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:55 PM

Just a reminder to everybody that enrolled in this course that it starts August 1.

You are receiving this email because you are enrolled in LFS101x Introduction to Linux on edX.org. We wanted to send you a quick reminder that the first day you can begin class is on August 1 - only a few weeks away!

Edited by NickAu1, 28 July 2014 - 05:55 PM.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:04 PM

So...

"LINUX - the free OS that needs a $2400 introduction course."

???

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,562 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:01 PM

I am thinking about paying the $250 just so I can tell everybody I graduated at MIT :hysterical:

2djxfk4.jpg

Edited by NickAu1, 28 July 2014 - 09:01 PM.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:19 PM

So...

???

No, this was 100% Free for those who signed up during the initial offer period back in March, which was posted prominently in the Linux section. Seems that it was offered shortly after I joined the forum, or possibly being offered at that time. 

Can't recall if there was a deadline for entry, only that it was normally a $2,400 course. There are some IT schools whom charges a lot more than that, the difference being some of these are on-campus & job placement assistance available upon graduation. Currently, Linux IT Pros are in very high demand, much more so than Windows counterparts & the salaries/benefit package are a reflection of that. 

http://www.datamation.com/careers/demand-for-linux-professionals-is-growing.html

At the time of this article, demand was already 70% higher than in 2013. 

Not all Linux OS's are free, some (such as CentOS) are free developmental OS's for subscription based ones like RedHat & may include software that doesn't make the final cut for the Professional version. 

Most all of us uses some form of Linux daily & doesn't realize it, beginning with our ISP's & during transactions. These are not free OS's. 

However this course can help current & new Linux users to further their knowledge of the OS, which appeared to be the deal when I signed up. That's what I'm in it for. MS doesn't offer similar courses to the general public, but does send me invitations to seminars & other events, some free & some fee based. These, I get through my former TechNet membership credentials & the newsletters that I signed up for. There was one, though can't remember if there was a cost or not, would have walked away with a free Windows To Go Drive (Windows 8 Enterprise based). 

That's why I get these invitations, was paying my dues for a couple of years. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:49 PM

Sigh...

#11 Guest_Kaosu_*

Guest_Kaosu_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:09 PM

So...

???

I paid $400 to take the RHCSA exam, and then have to renew it every 3 calendar years. These types of certifications can sometimes be the difference between being hired or rejected when applying for jobs, so it isn't uncommon to see a full training course + exam cost around $2,000 - $3,000. Heck, some of the exams alone cost $3,000.

This class will probably be similar to a "Linux Administration I" course, which explains the price tag. Honestly, the fact that they are allowing people to audit the class shows how generous edX is.

Edited by Kaosu, 29 July 2014 - 12:28 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

The price tag also shows that there's a business side to Linux that most of us uses daily & not realize it. One's ISP, making transactions, email server, all sorts of government sites, utilities, are running Linux servers. So does the US Department of Defense, one wouldn't think the military would trust drone dropping to Windows software, I'd hope? Otherwise they might fall on us.  :P

Also the stock markets, NASDAQ, NYSE uses Linux, so does NASA & other major & minor world governments. When our local hospital was taken in by a larger group, most all of the nearly new Windows computers went out the door for Linux ones. One exception was the Imaging department, where the equipment's software is Windows based, so they left that. 

And the shocker, the Windows 8 Pro promo rolled out in the fall of 2012 was from Linux servers. How about that? Have looked it up everywhere & can't find it, am wondering if our monthly Windows Updates ships out from a Windows Server? 

Finally there are no Windows supercomputers in the planet's top 20, though over half are a Linux variant. Windows is a popular consumer & business OS for general office use, but many ultra secure things are done on Linux servers. 

So to get qualified staff to keep up these computers, costs a lot of money, though this pays for itself in lowered maintenance costs. Again, these systems doesn't have the overhead of a similar Windows computer (or Server), so they can handle more load. And come next year, there may be many more going towards Linux, as all of the Server 2003 OS's will be out of support, some of these which happens to be servers for transactions.

There's a Lot more to Linux than the free side that is widely discussed & some of the above things helps Linux to be more secure. That's why the folks at Canoncial dumped Ubuntu One, they were losing cash on it. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,779 posts
  •  

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:51 AM

Hi platypus,

the course is still free from what I've seen. Simply create an account at edx and select to "audit" the course.
The price tag is the one you'd normally pay to take it at MIT or at least that's what I assumed when they started advertising with it. You can off course learn all of it by yourself, the information is public, but to show you know this and you're familiar with Linux, some companies may ask for certificates and certificates are never cheap.
It's the same for anything, English is a free language. I can claim I speak perfect English, practice every day in a highly technical environment, yet the companies will still prefer to require a certificate proving my knowledge (which expires after two years... yay me).

regards
myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

#14 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,979 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:25 AM

So...

???

It's not a matter of ''need,'' but rather a matter of ''want.'' :)

I have never felt inclined to learn anything about Windows beyond how to get it to operate a computer, but I find Linux fascinating in comparison so I have also signed up for this course.

#15 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

All right, irony fail I guess. Since it would seem rude to delete my post and the responses in order to tidy up the topic, I apologize to those who wasted time and effort under the impression that I didn't understand the concept of a free course, and request that no-one else respond to my poor attempt at humour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users