Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A, B, C, D lights on Dell 4600....

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:00 PM

The Dell 4600 works, or so it seems. The A, B and C lights on the back of the unit light green, the D light is yellow. The monitor does not work. Tried another known good one and it does not work either. Both monitors have the bouncing message displayed that the info cable is unplugged. But do not work when the cable is connected to the unit. Is that why the D light is yellow? Something in the motherboard is fried?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

Is there an add in card with video output and onboard video output? It could be the video card that has failed. Make sure you have the monitor plugged into the add in cards output if one is installed. If it is and is still not working and the computer has onboard video, you can remove the add in card and move the cable to the onboard output and test again.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Hmmm. My ignorance will be showing here, Zingo. The monitor's plug is blue and has two screws and is connected to the blue port on the back. Now, about that video card. There is a card that has an extra wire from it to the MB. How do I know if that's a video card? ......Maybe it's not. I'm looking at the inside now and see that that card has outside ports for telephone standard plugs. The other, larger card has three ports, the first has what looks like a lightening bolt with an arrowhead all inside an oval and has a three rows of eight pins each, along with a set of four pins. The next port is a circular item that looks similar to the mouse and keyboard ports and has an 'S' inside a square and what looks like an arrow through three semi curves (similar to the ground symbol). The third port is a blue connector with three rows of five pins each, and it's symbol looks like two squares with two dots in it. Does not sound liike either of these two cards is what I should be looking at. Where would the video card be located? There are a couple of 'boards' in there that are sort of in the middle of the MB.

Edited by mrcaptainbob, 13 March 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

This descrbies what a VGA or video port may look like: The third port is a blue connector with three rows of five pins each, and it's symbol looks like two squares with two dots in it.

VGA is the video output, if you have 2 these: https://www.google.com/search?q=vga+connector&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=L_YiU8fhG6yCyAHyzIH4Bg&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1272&bih=734

Try to remove the add in card with the blue port that has 3 rows of 5 pins and move the cable to the other port. Then power on and see if you have any video.

If you have the ability to take a picture of the inside of the computer and the back (where everything plugs in) it would likely help quite a bit.

The other thing you might try while you have the case open would be to re-seat the ram, to do this, pull it out and put it back in, it is that simple. Re-seat ram instructions:

Also while your in the case look for any blown or bulging capacitors: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ZfciU-_FCqqqyAHojICQDQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=855&bih=461

Edited by zingo156, 14 March 2014 - 07:40 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 mrcaptainbob

mrcaptainbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:43 PM

Thanks for those sites, Zingo. They were very helpful. So helpful, in fact, that I spotted what I described in my last post! The blue, fifteen pin connector for the monitor from the vid card! So I transferred the monitor to it and it does light up and the four lights (including the 'D') are now all green! So there's success on that front. The issue now is the screen message says there's a memory dump and that the ati2dvag (whatever that is...) is bad and needs a new driver. I will now consider this as having met success with your help and will now post to the software section of Bleeping Computer.

Again, Zingo, thank you very much for your help.

Bob.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users