Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm worried someone is accessing my computer remotely

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 grlfriday

grlfriday

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

I have Windows 7 on my PC, and recently had my house searched by the police, who got an anonymous tip that I had marijuana. Their case didn't get them what the tipster promised, and I am concerned that they put something on my computer in the hopes of finding me doing something illegal in the future (This happened a few days ago.). I know, this sounds really sketchy and paranoid, but I'm a newspaper publisher and the accusations probably stemmed from someone I made mad.

Is there anything I can do to make 100% sure that my computer is secure and there aren't hidden processes running that would violate my privacy? I do not do anything illegal on this computer, and I'm not attempting to try to do anything illegal, I just want to know that my accounting and business files, and my newspaper articles, which need to be secure to protect my sources when I need to protect a source are all secure and no one's snooping on my private business. 

I have run Malware Bytes once, and it found 7 items. I restarted like it said to do. I don't see any processes running that I don't recognize, or that I didn't google and find they are probably something my husband put on the computer himself to increase download speeds. I use avast for anti-virus. There IS suddenly a weird LOOK to my desktop. The icons look weird, my computer's default font is now less readable, and the Start button looks like XP or maybe something older. It didn't look like this yesterday. 

Can anyone advise how I can make 100% sure my info on my computer is secure? Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users