Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

VGA and Miracast

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ukbb

ukbb

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:03 PM

I have this monitor hooked to my wife's laptop.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/392408/E2051SN_20_LED_Monitor_OEM

The laptop is getting old and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Dell Venue 8 Pro and hooking it up as a tablet/desktop for her like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmMYjVPhTlg&feature=youtu.be

The monitor has a VGA input only. Are there Miracast dongles meant for use with VGA?

I already tried google and followed a bunch of links that didn't really answer this question.

Edited by ukbb, 12 March 2014 - 03:03 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2014 - 05:13 PM

There are not Miracast dongles made specifically for use with VGA, however it will work with a VGA adapter.  Not sure if you need the powered kind [of adapter] or not, so it would be a good idea to get one [powered] just in case the unpowered kind does not work.  Note: Powered means that it will have a separate power connector that plugs in via USB or into the wall.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 19 March 2014 - 11:47 PM

There are not Miracast dongles made specifically for use with VGA, however it will work with a VGA adapter.  Not sure if you need the powered kind [of adapter] or not, so it would be a good idea to get one [powered] just in case the unpowered kind does not work.  Note: Powered means that it will have a separate power connector that plugs in via USB or into the wall.

Odds are pretty good that it will require a powered HDMI to VGA converter (not just an adapter) as more than likely any Miracast adapters are pumping out a digital video signal. So, you will need a "converter" that converts the digital signal to an analog signal since VGA is an analog format. Such converters are always powered.

#4 ihavanswer

ihavanswer

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2014 - 03:12 PM

thanks for the info smax :)

#5 kerbe

kerbe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 24 September 2014 - 05:53 PM

After hours on the phone with Dell Tablet Tech Support they finally admitted that the ONLY miracast device that worked reliably with the DV8P is the Netgear PTV3000.

Problem is that the PTV3000 is an older design - for example, it requires a mini-usb power cord - and Netgear has it pretty-well locked-down: I've tried six different HDMI to VGA converters - all of them HDCP compliant - yet not one of them can maintain a signal for more than a few minutes. It seems the PTV3000 requires some sort of communication feedback via HDMI and, when it realizes that it isn't getting it, it breaks the connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users