Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba c675 laptop, have to press power button 3 times to fully boot

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Willspcrepair

Willspcrepair

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

Whenever I press the power button the first time, the computer boots to the windows logo then nothing. Press the power button again, the lights on the laptop go off. Press the button a third time and lights come back on, can here the fans rev up, and windows is sitting at the user screen like it was woken up from sleep mode.

Sometimes you have to keep pressing the power button but eventually it will get to the user screen like normal.

Any help? I've checked a lot of stuff and I'm stumped! Thank you all!

Willspcrepair

Edited by hamluis, 16 March 2014 - 01:55 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:47 PM

Can you boot into Safe Mode.

Is Windows loading to where you see the desktop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Willspcrepair

Willspcrepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:40 PM

It starts and runs fine and in safe mode, everything's normal besides having to press power button 3 times (most times)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:52 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

• List last 10 Event Viewer log
• List Installed Programs
• List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
• List Minidump Files

Click on Go to start the scan.  Once it is finished highlight the text, copy it and paste it in your next post.

Does this problem persist in Safe Mode?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

Let me back up here...

Let's try setting the computer up so that it will start in Safe Mode the next time it is started.

Click on the Start orb, type in msconfig in the Search programs and files box.  msconfig will appear above the search box under Programs, right click on this and choose Run as administrator.

When Windows Configuration opens click on the Boot tab.

In the Boot section click on Safe boot, the minimal button should already be selected.  

Click on Apply, then OK.

You will be asked if you want to restart your computer, click on Yes.

The reason we are doing this is to see if the power button problem occurs when booting into Safe Mode.

Once you have done this and have the answer you can go back and repeat the process and remove the check mark for Safe boot.

#6 Willspcrepair

Willspcrepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:37 PM

Ok, im back home on the laptop now, just changes msconfig to boot in safemode and hit the restart button that followed, worked fine. Then I shutdown the laptop, pulled out the charger, and then restarted the laptop fully from a shutdown into safemode, worked fine. Then I changed the setting in msconfig back to normal boot, and now every single time the screens black after windows splash screen.

Before it would boot after pressing power button a few times, now I sat there for 10 minutes straight pressing the power button and nothing, any inspiration?

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

Try booting into Safe Mode again.  If this works go back to the Windows Configuration and check to see if you reset the startup to normal.

If you can get the computer to start normally I want you to do a Clean Boot.  This will tell us if there is a thirdparty service or driver causing this problem, or a startup item for that matter.

***This is a diagnotic tool for Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.  This will not repair your computer, but it may point to where the problem lies so that a repair can be made.***

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Step 1

(1)  Click on the Start orb, then type msconfig.exe in the Search programs and files box.  

(2)  When msconfig is seen in the pane above the search box and under Programs, right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

afterstart_zps02764513.jpg

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation. 

Step 2

(1)  Click on the General tab.   

(2)  Click the Selective startup option. 

(3)  Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box. 

msconfig_zps77b1ef82.png

Step 3

(1)  Click on the Services tab. 

(2)  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running. 

(3)  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list, then click on Apply, then OK.  Click on Restart in the window that opens.

Caution:  I repeat, byy disabling the Services your antivirus will not be active, for this reason I suggest that this process not be run while online.

msconfig2_zpsef3c4759.png

If the problem does not reoccur after the reboot this means that there is a Service which is causing this proble, continue with the process of elemination to find the Service which is causing this in Option A.  If the problem does reoccur after the reboot go to Option B.

Option A

**The following is a process of elimination to find the Service or Startup item that is causing your problem**.  

*  If the problem does not reoccur after the restart go back to Services and place check marks in half of the boxes and restart the computer.  

*  If the problem still does not continue return to Services and remove the check marks that were added, then place check marks in the remaining half of the boxes and restart the computer.

If the problem resumes after a restart in one of these halves, you will procede with this process in the half where the problem occurs.  If this does not continue in either half you should repeat this process in Sartup

*  In the half of the Services that the problem is found, remove one check mark at a time and restart the computer to see if that  is the Service causing the problem.  Continue to do this with the Services untill the service causing this problem is  found.

Option B

Search Startup itmesIf the problem is not found in Services, remove all of the check marks, click on the Startup tab and repeat the search process there.

Caution:  If this is a laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

If this problem is found post the Service or Startup item that is causing it. 

#8 Willspcrepair

Willspcrepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:31 PM

I found the problem guys, but still need help seeing through it if available. I first fixed a bad hard drive by replacing with a working drive, a couple weeks later the laptop started having to press the power button a few times:

Here's the cause, the backlight doesn't start on the first power button press, it takes a few times, but shows the splash screen fine.

I shined a light close to the screen and could see the desktop and you hear the intro sound when it comes on.

If you press the power button a couple times it will eventually come on

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,468 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

Ok have you to tried checking the function key that adjusts the screen brightness? Holding Fn key and pressing F6 or F7 to make it brighter/darker. If that don't work you might have to reset the bios to defaults.

Some useful into..below is the link to the c600 series laptop manual (adobe pdf file). There is a wealth of info there. The contents starts on page 30 of the manual and from there you can click on the section you want to go to or read.  http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/manuals/userguides/su3131314/GMAD00278010_Sat-SatProC600_11Mar15_updated06272011.pdf

Edited by technonymous, 15 March 2014 - 12:10 AM.

#10 Willspcrepair

Willspcrepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 03:08 AM

Here's how it works

I turn it on, boot logo, boots fine but screen has no backlight.

Then I hit power button again, puts it in sleep mode.

Press it one more time, it wakes from sleep with backlight working.

It's works just a big annoyance

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:00 AM

When you first turn on the laptop shine a flash light on the screen and see if the desktop is visible.

When you first turn on the laptop does changing the angle of the screen in relation to the keyboard have any effect on the display?

Connect an external monitor to the laptop to determine if the problem is the graphics system is working.  You will need to press the FN and the F5 keys at the same time to switch to the external monitor.  You may have to do this two or three times to get to the external monitor setting.

#12 Willspcrepair

Willspcrepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

I shined a light to the screen that's how I figured out it was the backlight not working on the first power button press.

Originally I was just thinking something got hung up after the boot logo because the splash screen will display every time just like the bios options show.

*I tried an external monitor like Dc3 said, and works like a charm.

The first initial power button press boot laptop without the backlight (after the splash screen). I press the power button again which puts computer in sleep mode. Pressing it a third time boots the computer back up with a working backlight.

#13 Willspcrepair

Willspcrepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

By the way it's a Toshiba Satellite c675d-s7101 running win 7

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

If the problem isn't repeated with the external monitor and you can see the desktop while shining a flashlight on the display I would put my money on the backlight being the problem.  I would suggest replacing the backlight.

#15 Willspcrepair

Willspcrepair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:04 PM

Isn't the backlight part of the LCD screen? I replace those all the time, do you think it would be since it works fine after pressing the power button a few times? And are the flax cables from the backlight go straight to the motherboard or is there any kind of inverter it plugs into first that might be the problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users