Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my HP dc7800 small form factor out of the stone age

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Delby108

Delby108

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Hi,  New to this forum and looking for advice.  I have an old HP dc7800 small form factor pc and would like to install a new motherboard, cpu (i5), etc..  I have looked around but cannot find any info as to which motherboards are compatible with this case.  Need to use it as a back up pc for my work and was thinking that upgrading the MB etc. would possibly be a cost effective alternative to buying a new pc.

Would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

Delby

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:10 PM

Usually those cases are BTX form factor (if you are lucky it may be one of the rare cases that supports ATX as well), if not you will have trouble finding any main board that will fit. Also I would never recommend re-using power supplies that are over 5 years old unless they were high quality to start with. If you still have the factory power supply, why not spend about $100 more on a new case + Power supply (ATX form factor or minit ITX etc) and then get a decent power supply while you are at it.

That power supply in that case might be proprietary and may not work with new main boards, likely it would only have 20pin connector not  24, and would have a 4 pin connector where most newer main boards have 8pin (sometimes 4 pins will work in the 8pin slot leaving 4 empty). Not to mention most of the new boards will not support Ide hard drives easily (without buying a pci ide controller card). My recommendation would be to upgrade the entire computer. That being said: you can almost always build a computer cheaper than you can buy a new one from any manufacturer. Also you can chose higher quality parts etc. Some of the online retailers (tigerdirect.com newegg.com) offer some good build kits at reasonable costs.

Definitely shop around, I got a really good deal on my i7 4770k, it costed $249 when normally it was $349. Plus they took off $40 from the mainboard when I bought the i7. Ended up getting an i7 for about the same cost as the i5 or maybe even a bit cheaper :)

Also dedicate a budget and stick to that.

Edited by zingo156, 12 March 2014 - 01:11 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

G'day mate, i've looked around at the form factor of the motherboard and it seems HP uses a non-standard size unfortunately, so your chances of switching it out is slim. Also another potential issue would be the front panel connectors as OEMs tend to use custom connectors.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#4 Delby108

Delby108
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:11 PM

Thanks zingo and killerx, I've decided to give a new build a go.  It will be my first time so looking forward to it.

Again, really appreciate your input,

Delby

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

Glad to help, best of luck on your new build! First time builds can be fun.

note: don't forget to put the stand outs in the case (screws that lift the main board about 1/4 inch away from the metal case) these prevent the main borad from shorting out with the case. This was a somewhat common issue I saw with people building their first computers.

Here is what a stand out looks like: http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/s/standout.htm

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users