Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would you buy a refurbished computer?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

I was planning on buying this HP for $574:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/HP-Pavilion/G1V32AV?HP-Pavilion-15t-n200-Notebook-PC-with-Windows-7-ENERGY-STAR-

But then I noticed this refurbished one for $499:

http://www.jr.com/hp/pe/HP_15B123CL_hy_RB/

It's always nice to save money. Would I be taking too much of a risk in buying a refurbished computer?

I note that the refurbished has a i5-3337U processor and the new one has a i5-4200U processor. The refurbished one is lighter too.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:03 PM

Since they are being purchased directly from hp, I suspect you would have no problems, however I am not sure how thorough their diagnostic tests are, my biggest concern would always be what if any warranty comes with the computer? A new laptop will have 1 year parts coverage. The newer 4200u will likely have longer battery life.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

I have. Bought a refurbished school PC workstation for my mother for $50 off newegg. It still works, though she bought a win7 Dell desktop suite back in 2010.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

I have no wish to fall out with Zingo, but the second, refurbished, laptop listed above is not a sale from HP.

You are looking at a saving of $US 75 and getting 90 days warranty against the full manufacturer's warranty. In my opinion, not worth it . For a bigger differential, say nearer $US 200, that it would be a different story. I could be seriously tempted.

That is not to say that refurbished or second hand or ex-lease equipment cannot give excellent value. A few years ago I bought an ex-lease Dell desktop for my sister-in-law and it is still running perfectly with only one problem in that time - the CD drive died. Because she is disabled, they did an on-site replacement. And more recently, I bought an ex-lease monitor just as a spare. It came in extremely useful when my last monitor died and before its replacement turned up.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

No worries Chris, I must have mis-read the page. I would agree with you that with only a 90 day warranty and a difference of ~ $75-$100, I would go with the newer technology, and 1 year warranty.

Edited by zingo156, 13 March 2014 - 10:56 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

I've bought two refurbished Dells from NewEgg. Happy with both. They are notebooks. Not all that state of the art but enough for me.

I like buying the Dell Business Class machines because there are tons of cheap replacement parts and YouTube videos out there that will explain how to repair or replace just about anything.

Just "replaced" a Dell D620 XP with a Dell E6410 W7. The e6410 has just enough features that I feel like I upgraded. (The DisplayPort allows for connecting to hdmi and put out both video AND sound). You can easily upgrade the 6410 with a backlit keyboard, which I probably will do soon it's so simple and less than $20.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:38 PM

You are looking at a saving of $US 75 and getting 90 days warranty against the full manufacturer's warranty. In my opinion, not worth it

I agree.

Having said that, If you look at my signature you will see the spec's to the hp I got from ebay for 50 bucks as it had no HDD in it and was sold as not working. No charger supplied, But in the foto on ebay I saw it booted into bios.

PC SPECS- Hp Pavilion G6, AMD A4-3305M With Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz.8 gig ram

Buying second hand is always a risk but 50 bucks wasnt that much of a risk the ram is worth that.

But you cant go past 12 months of warranty.

My wife has a similar Hp we got new and I paid an extra 140 dollars for 5 year extended warranty.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 March 2014 - 11:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users