Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Asus AM2 motherboard power on but no POST

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:39 AM

I have an hp desktop with an Asus AM2 motherboard (board is stock in PC). Motherboard was working fine, then one day just wouldnt POST. no blue screen following or any other signs of failure. Tested RAM, CPU, caps are fine (previously changed before, and tested now), PSU is fine as well. The motherboard has an nVIDIA chipset. I reworked the chipset just to try. Still nothing. No beeps or anything. Just a power on and no POST. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Is there a speaker connected to the mainboard? Did you used to get a post beep before?

I would recommend a bench test, remove the mainboard from the computer case, leave cpu, cpu cooler, 1 stick of ram in 1 slot, the video card (if you have onboard use that only), and then connect the power supply only to the 20/24 pin and 4 pin. Try to power it on this way. If you can not remove it from the case, disconnect all case usb/audio headers and remove all components from the main board that are not needed: hard drives, disc drives, add in pci/pci-e cards etc. Visually inspect all usb ports for damaged or shorted pins etc. Reset cmos, either remove the power cord and the motherboard battery, or use the  clear cmos jumper.

By rework I assume you heated the chip up or "reflowed" it. This can sometimes fail, I am not sure how you did this but if the chip was overheated extensively it may be done completely. If none of the above methods work, you will need to replace 1 component at a time. I usually try in this order: different ram (1 stick tried in all slots), new psu, different cpu (most of the time these are cheaper than boards), then lastly a new board. Of course if you have already ruled some hardware out as it seems you have or happen to have a different board but not other components you can test in any order you would like.

You only need 4 pieces of the puzzle to get a full post: cpu/cpu cooler, ram, mainboard, psu (plugged into the 20/24pin and 4pin). Connect a monitor (no mouse or keyboard at this point) and power on by shorting the power button pins (where the power button connects to the mainboard) you will not damage the mainboard by shorting the power button pins as this is exactly what the power button does.

Edited by zingo156, 12 March 2014 - 12:34 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:55 AM

i have tried all of the above but i did it in a hurry. i will repeat the above steps again and take notes. i will post with an update. thank you very much for the quick reply and advice, much appreciated.

#4 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:37 PM

well...... sadly, it turns out that something on the board is fried, something that i cannot detect. i tried everything you mentioned, and still not even a single beep. maybe the best bet is just to snag me a replacement AM2 board??

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:47 AM

If you tried new ram, new cpu, new psu, and you still get nothing, no beeps at all and you have a speaker connected to the board, it is likely the board is bad. It still could be the cpu, (some boards will not throw beep codes with out a cpu) this might be cheaper to replace than the board so you might start there (unless you already tested with a known good cpu). You could try taking out all of the ram and leaving the slots empty, and turn it on that way. A good board with a good cpu should throw out a fault beep code as long as there is a speaker connected to the board.

You could try and replace the board with a generic, just make sure it is the correct form factor for your case. Sometimes HP's or other brand name companies use proprietary cases and ALMOST ALL the time use proprietary case connectors for the main board headers (power button, usb ports, front panel audio connectors). Not to mention the IO shield on the back of the computer may not be changable (it may be built into the case)

My recommendation would be to double check all the above things first and see if a generic board will work or possibly order an exact replacement. Exact replacements will for certain work in your current case.

Edited by zingo156, 13 March 2014 - 10:50 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

ive tried changing everything. i have also removed all of the ram and still get no beeps. im convinced that the board is just bad......

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:22 PM

It would appear that way. With a known good cpu, psu, and main board, you would certainly receive a beep code with no ram as long as your main board speaker was plugged in and working.

#8 chaslinux

chaslinux

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:48 PM

Matt did you try replacing the battery? You can often pick up those 3 volt batteries from a dollar store. We've found in a few systems this sometimes fixes the no post problem.

#9 mattsowders1989

mattsowders1989
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

Matt did you try replacing the battery? You can often pick up those 3 volt batteries from a dollar store. We've found in a few systems this sometimes fixes the no post problem.

yes. that was one of the first things i tried, i saw it a lot when i managed a local repair shop. im going to try to test a few caps thhat look likee they may be swelled. if its a no go, i will just replace the board. thank you all for your time and help. it is greatly appriciated

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

Good idea on replacing bulging caps, often they will cause problems, if they aren't already they certainly will eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users