Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pagefile

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 stevansky

stevansky

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:20 AM

I have a Dell E521 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I have installed an additional 1TB drive to write backups to with Acronis. I've noticed that at times my computer will freeze up and lag when (best I can tell according to performance monitor) it's writing to the pagefile. I've read that I can decrease the pagefile size on C: to 500mb for dumps and allocate a larger amount on my backup drive (K:) to give some increase in performance. My concern though is if I do allocate diskspace on my backup drive for the pagefile...will this affect or possibly overwrite my backups? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:53 AM

When you are running an application which uses a large amount of RAM it is possible to run low on available RAM.  When this occurs Windows moves the least used "pages" of memory out to a hidden file named pagefile.sys in the root of one of your drives to free up more RAM for the applications you are actually using.  What this means is that if you've had an application minimized for a while, and you are heavily using other applications, Windows is going to move some of the memory from the minimized application to the pagefile since it's not being accessed recently. This can often cause restoring that application to take a little longer, and your hard drive may grind for a bit.

The simple answer?  Add more RAM.  Your Dell can have a maximum of 4GB or RAM, how much do you have installed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

I have 4GB installed. This issue doesn't happen very often but enough for me to notice it. I do very little multitasking and am usually only running one thing at a time (other than what the system is running on its own). Maybe it's not the pagefile? Is there a program or utility that I could run unobtrusively in the background that would create a log of some sort of what was consuming system resources and when? Performance monitor does to a point but it gives no indication if the it took place 5 minutes or an hour ago, just that it occurred.

Edited by stevansky, 12 March 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:52 AM

How to change pagefile size.

You will need to run this from an Administrator account.

1.  Click on the Start orb, right click on Computer, then click on Properties.

2.  In the left pane, click on Advanced system settings.  If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

3.  Click on the Advanced tab, under Performance click on Settings.

4.  Click on the Advanced tab, then under Virtual memory click on Change.

5.  Clear the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives check box.

6.  Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file you want to change.  This usually will be the C: Drive.

Before you change the pagefile size please notice the content in the box at the bottom.

Total paging file size for all drives

Minimum allowed

Recommended 

Currently allocated 

If the currenty allocated amount is smaller than the reommended you can change it to the full allocated amount.

7.  Click on Custom size, type in the new size in megabytes, click on Set, and then click OK.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:01 AM

Thanks. I understand the process of changing pagefile size and/or moving it to another internal drive. What I am not sure of though is what will happen to my backups if I move my pagefile to that drive. Will it overwrite or partially corrupt my backups or is this a non issue?

Edited by stevansky, 12 March 2014 - 11:01 AM.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:47 AM

Unless you delete them they should remain.

Create a similar file and move it, then see if the other file still remains.

#7 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:07 PM

All appears well. Thanks for the help.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,012 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:18 PM

Glad to help. :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users