Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Port forwarding

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 A18 UNI

A18 UNI

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:30 AM

hello friends , 

I am learning SAMP PAWN and i am learning to make servers of SAMP in it using my very basic knowledge of C++ and PAWN . while creating server it asks me my ip and the PORTS which my computer listens to , but as i am a beginner i dont anything about PORTS and port forwarding so please help me out in simle language how to do port forwarding and then i will be able to proceed further.    :lmao: :smash:

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2014 - 11:47 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

Plenty Of Google Links

Louis

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:49 PM

Think of ports like this: In an office of say 10 people and 1 router out to the internet. On the business side of that router they use private IP addressing, these are addresses that can't be routed or used by the internet. So all 10 people are on Chrome using the http protocol to get around the interwebs. On the internet side of that router is 1 IP address assigned by the ISP. It is the router's job to make sure that the IP addresses are translated from private to the routable IP the ISP provides and back again to the correct address on the inside. But if all of 10 users are using the same protocol, then how does it know when the information comes back from the internet which address it goes to? Remember the internet only knows the 1 IP address. That is where ports come in. The OS assigns a port number any time a protocol is used. There are some common ones for FTP is 21, SMTP is 25, POP 3 is 110 but there are over 65000 of them. If you have a few web pages open, open a CMD prompt and type netstat -a and you'll see the protocol, IP address and the port like UDP  192.168.1.80:57798 <<-- after the colon is the port number. That port number is part of the packet that gets encapsulated by the computer and it's part of what the router sees. So the router knows when that web page's packet comes back with the port number 57798, the router sees it and says Ok you want to go to node 80 and sends it to that device.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 A18 UNI

A18 UNI
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:32 AM

Thanks for the help cavedweller2 and hamluis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users