Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shutting off suddenly after running a game for a few minutes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sockies

sockies

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:56 AM

hello! i was recently given a used ASUS G73Jh by a very generous friend after my computer had broken. she claims there wasn't much done on it as she used it mostly for one semester of college and then used it only for hosting online servers to several games

she removed most of her stuff on it, and after i got the computer i also proceeded to delete remnants of some of the games she had installed, and then downloaded my steam games. after running a game that i had installed, a few minutes into it my computer shut itself off completely. i had figured my charging cord had come loose as when i tried to press the power button the power button and the buttons in the left corner flashed blue once and didn't come on, so i unplugged the charger cord and plugged it back in. 

i was able to start it up this time but it soon changed to a blue screen with just a few lines of words that flashed past a bit too quickly for me to get the gist of what it said. i got a screen saying it didn't start up correctly and i decided to start windows normally. 

my computer shut down a few minutes after logging in and getting to my desktop. i this time took out my battery and held the power button for a minute, then put it back in and it started up. i was able to run MBAM Pro and it picked up a few objects i wasn't too worried about. i tried to replicate the problem and after a few minutes of play my computer shut off again.

i don't really have much on here i'd miss, seeing as i've only had the computer for a few days, so if a factory reset would be the best or easiest solution let me know. i didn't get any disks with the computer, only the laptop itself and the charger cord/power brick. i'm sorry if any of that is needed for any fix

i apologize for my exposition there, i wouldn't consider very good with computers (i know how to remove viruses and that's about it), so i figured more information is better than less.

thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TechMarvel

TechMarvel

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:54 AM

It could be that the computer is over heating...What is your system temps?  Does it happen if you leave the computer "idle" for a while?

It could be bad RAM...Try running the ram test tool from microsoft (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer)

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:18 AM

It does seem most likely to be a hardware level issue. Overheating is often the cause of a complete shutdown that was unexpected. Please download and install speccy and who crashed:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

We need to analyze your operating system's crash dump files to further diagnose what could possibly be crashing your computer system.

Please download Who Crashed? and save it to your desktop.

Double click whocrashedSetup.exe and choose Run

On Windows Vista, 7, 8 and 8.1 machines, when User Account Control asks if you wish to install this program, say YES to install the program on your computer.

Program can also be installed by right click and choosing Run As An Administrator.

On the next screen choose Next and accept the agreement.

Install the program in it's default location C:\Program Files\WhoCrashed (If your primary drive is different from C:, choose your primary drive.)

Choose Next and allow program to create a Start Menu Folder called WhoCrashed and click Next.

Allow program to create desktop icon and click Next.

Now Click Install.

Once the program is installed on your computer system, look for the WhoCrashed icon.png desktop Icon and double click it.

Accept the User Account Control request and the program will open on your screen and should look something like this.

whocrashed.png

Next, Click the Analyze button. analyze.png

An Information Window should appear on your screen prompting you to scroll down your screen.

If a report was generated we would like to have a look at this report.

To do this, click File analyze.png and then choose Export.

Save as WhoCrashedOutput.htm to your desktop.

Open WhoCrashedOutput.htm and copy and paste all of the contents from System Information (local) and Crash Dump Analysis and the Conclusion into your next reply.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 sockies

sockies
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:11 PM

i'm sorry for the late reply, i've recently figured out that my computer also shuts off after running a full scan on malwarebytes pro for less than ten minutes.

i'm suspecting it's malware that's causing these troubles, so i'm going to move to that section of the forums.

i apologize for the trouble, and thank you for trying to help me.

Edited by sockies, 13 March 2014 - 06:16 PM.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:48 AM

If this is still the case: "i don't really have much on here i'd miss, seeing as i've only had the computer for a few days, so if a factory reset would be the best or easiest solution let me know. i didn't get any disks with the computer, only the laptop itself and the charger cord/power brick. i'm sorry if any of that is needed for any fix"

I would recommend you try a factory restore, this is the only guaranteed method of fixing windows after having virus's (if that was the cause initially)

As long as nothing has been corrupted on your hard drive you should be able to do factory restore by this method:

Restart your computer.  Press F9 key immediately when the ASUS logo appears.  This will start the recovery procedure, including the installation of all the drivers and utilities.  Follow the instructions.  Best of luck either way.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users