Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't read warnings on wake up, not sure if I need to panic

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Izzye

Izzye

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:39 AM

The past couple of mornings when I've woken my laptop up from suspension I've seen a couple of error messages, the first time I got a black screen with a blinking white line like the one you get when you input text to DOS (I can't remember what it's called sorry) in the top left hand corner and after about 5 minutes it said something had failed, it was giving up and it started normally. After that I've not seen the blinking line, only 4 lines of text which end in "giving up" only they vanish so fast I haven't been able to work out what they say and if I should be worried about them. I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 on a 5 year(ish) old Toshiba Satellite Pro L300 with an upgrade to 2GiB RAM. Has anyone had anything similar or can tell me what these messages might say?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,729 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:19 AM

"giving up"

Might be Wifi giving up trying to connect. or something along those lines. 

#3 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:10 AM

Managed to catch a bit more of it earlier; "apat0 restart failed, giving up" and then it shut down my computer which hasn't happened before. I think it was apat0, I'm not 100% sure of that bit. Nothing ever seems to be faulty when it's woken up; the wifi is connected, the HDD is still accessable. Maybe I'll just ignore it until something actually breaks.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,729 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:56 AM

You could try this if it bothers you. This fixes broke packages. It may fix it. It may not. Make sure you back up any important stuff. While this only fixes Linux you never can be too carefull. use at own risk

Video not my work.

http://youtu.be/9iSRFBuDDgU

Edited by NickAu1, 14 March 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:00 AM

Have you tried pressing Ctrl > Alt > Delete when you see this screen? If all goes well, it'll reboot as normal.

I ask because this has happened to me on one particular computer while in hibernate (Lubuntu, as I recall). After it rebooted OK, I didn't mess with suspend/hibernation anymore, until Mint 13 was installed, then it worked fine. As to why the error, I didn't try to solve it, because I was not exactly satisfied with Lubuntu anyway. Was just checking out the OS.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2014 - 07:03 AM

I've since overwritten the OS with a new version and I don't think I'm getting the message any more. I think it was probably something to do with the fact the computer was running out of processing power, I'm now burning a USB with Peppermint to go on it which hopefully will go faster than a snail.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Peppermint is a good OS, have a friend with a very low powered notebook, after I tried (or let her try) out a few "lite" Ubuntu/Mint variants, she settled on it. In fact, she brought it back to me to install the latest version a year or so back.

Evidently your Toshiba model shipped with many different configurations, if you're comfortable with working on the inside of the notebook, you could find a more powerful CPU that will work with your MB & have more computing power. I only state this because what you wrote above.

which hopefully will go faster than a snail.

Otherwise, unless there's any hardware issues, Peppermint should run fine on your Toshiba. Post back if you have any concerns/issues, we'll be glad to assist where possible.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

I had a look at replacing the CPU but it seems to be soldered onto the motherboard. I emailed Toshiba about different motherboards which may fit in my case as they used the same case for several years but they never replied to me :( Even with Peppermint on it's still a bit laggy and slow.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,729 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Try this. precise-5.7.1-retro.iso

Save the ISO then burn it to disc, set pc to boot from disc( CD/DVD) and enjoy.

And read this.

http://puppylinux.com/cd-puppy.htm

If you need any other help please feel free to ask.

I had a look at replacing the CPU but it seems to be soldered onto the motherboard.I emailed Toshiba about different motherboards which may fit in

Buy a new Laptop it will be cheaper.

Edited by NickAu1, 30 March 2014 - 08:51 PM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 01:06 AM

I had a look at replacing the CPU but it seems to be soldered onto the motherboard. I emailed Toshiba about different motherboards which may fit in my case as they used the same case for several years but they never replied to me :( Even with Peppermint on it's still a bit laggy and slow.

The only physical components that I've replaced on my Toshiba (Satelitte A665-S0686) was the HDD to a SSD & RAM from 4GB PC3-8500 to 8GB PC3-10700 as performance was bad & RAM was crashing with 3-4 apps open..RAM replacement/upgrade stopped the crashes, but the Crucial M4 SSD that was recycled from another unit is what got the lead out. I do know that the CMOS battery is soldered on, so it's no surprise that other components are also.

2GB RAM should be fine for Peppermint, I'm running a full install of LInux Mint 13 on 2GB of plain old DDR 2700 RAM & 7200rpm IDE HDD, Thinkpad T42 built in 2004. It does have a new HDD installed, one that I bought for another years back & recently found in the parts basket. Had forgotten it was there for 5-6 years.

My initial thinking is telling me that the HDD may going south, based upon my experience & many other forum threads having to do with 3 to 5 year old Toshibas. There is a tool to check it with, however it only works with Windows, HD Tune, there's a Pro & Free version. A benchmark will expose this.

When booting & running from the Live CD of Peppermint, trying before install, does the LIve Mode run faster than the installed one? Normally it's slower from LIve CD, but is faster from a Flash drive. However if the HDD is getting weak, it's possible that the LIve CD session will be faster, Running from a Flash drive, it should be slightly faster than your HDD & that's an option for you. Just wondering, is this your computer?

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/toshiba-satellite-pro-l300-review/

It would be great to have the specs of it to assist in determining what's making it slow. 5400rpm HDD's are dirt slow these days, especially if it has a few years of wear on it. I'm more used to helping solve hardware issues with Windows installs, because of the available tools (or what I'm used to working with). However, Peppermint may have some benchmarking tools of it's own. I just don't know how these tools interpets the SMART data. Oh & to do a RAM test, there's an option for that on the Peppermint pre-boot screen, just drop down to Memory Test & run the default one. This will eliminate that component, though if the RAM is bad, there's normally crashing. Note that DDR2 RAM is much more costly than DDR3 of the same amount. Hard drives are low cost for notebooks, 500GB ones as low as $45-50 on promo. I have seen 60GB SSD's for $50 on promo at Newegg.

Buy a new Laptop it will be cheaper.

That could be very well true, especially if multiple components needs replacement. Look at it like this. How much do you value that computer to be? Or alternatively, what would you take for it? If it costs more to fix it than it's worth, then Nick's quote applies. If a lite OS such as Peppermint is running slow, tell us, how was Windows running on it?

Being that this is a 2008 model notebook, I'm very reluctant, w/out personally inspecting it, to advise wildly spending hard to come by cash on what, without at least a HDD (preferably SSD upgrade at today's prices) & RAM upgrade, you're not going to get a major performance boost from. If you have a spare HDD around that you can swap out, that would be great to try. Notebooks also, especially if obtained second hand, are likely to have a lot of wear & tear, compared to a tower PC. Dust gets packed in them very easily, in the right conditions, after just a year or two. This is noticable by the fan getting louder. There's vent slots & a heatsink with fins behind it. Those fins gets clogged, it runs hot & any legit tech on this forum or elsewhere will tell you, heat is the worst enemy of electronics. Especially notebooks, so little room to breathe.

9 out of 10 times, every time I hear a loud notebook fan, if I blow short bursts of canned air into the vent slots, it gets much quieter right then & run cooler. However, that's a temporary fix only. The notebook needs to be opened for proper cleaning (blowing it out really well) & the heatsink cleaned well, as well as the CPU surface, with at a minimum, 80% rubbing alcohol, All of the old paste must be removed. Then re-apply just a drop or two (about the size of a rolled oat (as in oatmeal) on the CPU & optionally GPU, then reassemble.

My point being, considering the age of the notebook, if these things haven't been done, they need to be. And if you don't know how, not want to yourself, it's going to cost.

There are plenty of notebooks more powerful than what you have with a warranty for $300-400.

And if you have a Flash drive, you can remove the HDD & install Peppermint straight to it, Not a permanent solution, but will buy you some time.

Keep us informed & Good Luck.

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 31 March 2014 - 01:07 AM.

#11 Izzye

Izzye
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

I think running from the Livedisk (or USB in my case) was very slightly faster, unfortunately I can't run my OS from the USB owing to its habit of refusing to work. I replaced the HDD about a year ago and it's not been walloped or dropped or anything like that since so I hope it's not that that's broken. These are the official specs; http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-pro-l300-1ad/ the only things I've changed are the OS; Vista to Ubuntu to Peppermint, the RAM, now 2GiB instead of 1 and the HDD.

I had Vista Home Premium on it and it was only built for Basic (this was entirely my dad's fault) so it didn't really run at all. As soon as I finished school I put Ubuntu on it which ran wonderfully and did until we got the Unity desktop which is when I put more RAM in it.

I regularly dismantle and clean out the insides so there's no dust in there at the moment. I've never done the rubbing alcohol thing though, what is that, just neat vodka? Or is it like white spirits?

Unfortunately, given what I do all day (read and write), I have pretty specific requirements in what I need from a laptop, one is a decent sized screen, the other is a keyboard without a number pad at the side. If I try and use one then I align my hands with the keyboard part of the keyboard and my head with the centre of the screen and I end up with awful back pain from it. I keep looking, but there's nothing out there that I could use for any length of time at the moment without buying refurbished second hand. I went and asked the guys in PC World the other day and they said I was better off buying a desktop. 

Edited by Izzye, 31 March 2014 - 07:52 AM.

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

Well, if you're basically in one place much of the day, as I am, desktops are at all time lows in regards to pricing. Plus generally speaking, a tower PC has more power than most notebooks. And again, you get a warranty. If you currently have a monitor, that would save some cash.

You also mention that you read & write all day, a desktop PC will run cooler than a notebook & you can always upgrade as your budget allows. The thing is though & this isn't a negative for everyone, but is for the majority, most ships with Windows 8. There are a few Windows 7 "workstation" type computers at Newegg, brand new, for as little as $350 on promo. Please avoid the Acer brand, no matter how loaded it is, no matter the cost. Everyone that I know who bought an Acer no longer owns it. That OEM takes mid to top level hardware (CPU's) & ruins them with cheap engineering, combined with poor customer service. Just a friendly warning :-)

Look around on the Newegg site, sign up for their promos, you can find a decent desktop there, they also carry refurbished ones, however read the reviews. Also, Costco can be a good source, it's where I got mine. My luck on eBay wasn't that great, one didn't even have a legit version of XP & Office 2007, as advertised. However I didn't know it until 4 months after purchase, after an update was greeted with a solid black screen & a watermark that I may be a victim of piracy, or similar wording. Fortunately, I had a Dell XP Pro reinstall CD & was able to legit reinstall the OS, but not Office. Had I not had that CD, I'd have been running Linux a couple of years before I started & probably not looked back, as I was one mad human that day.

I feel that with some looking around, you can find something that meets your needs & budget.

Best of Luck,

Cat

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,729 posts
  •  

Posted 31 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

one didn't even have a legit version of XP

I didn't know it until 4 months after purchase, after an update was greeted with a solid black screen & a watermark that I may be a victim of piracy,

I have seen this with legit copies too on Win7( OEM) , This happend to a neighbour, They got a brand new Laptop from Office Works and 6 weeks latter they got a message saying that their copy was pirate blah blah, They took the Laptop back to the store and had to pick it up the next day, so no idea what or how they fixed it but it was fixed.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,889 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:25 AM

Oh yes, it happens more frequently with Windows 7 & Office 2010 these days. While I don't but many computer related items on eBay anymore, I do check out the listings.

When I see computers that were designed to tun Vista/XP with Windows 7 Pro & Office 2010 Pro Plus for $200-300, I know what's up. Even today, Office 2010 Pro Plus costs more than that, it was $499 when released. The gievaway that many of these aren't legit, other than the old computers & cheap prices, are in the listings themselves. The seller will repeat several times "100% Genuine Windows", "Fully Activated" (when the end user is supposed to activate the software) & similar phrases.

If it's legit, the seller doesn't need to be going out of the way to show it. I mean, retailers sells refurbished computers, even WalMart, Sears, Newegg, Fry's & others, there's no such references. eBay needs to permanently ban sellers who has sold such units (with proof). Instead, many has over 100,000 transactions. If these power sellers were having a ban hanging over their head over one counterfeit unit shipped, that they (or their "techs") loaded, a huge dent would be placed on Windows piracy.

I do hope that the OP does find a decent computer at an affordable price. There's always the chance taken when buying refurbished, regardless of source, in regards to condition.

Cat

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,729 posts
  •  

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:41 AM

eBay needs to permanently ban sellers who has sold such units (with proof). Instead, many has over 100,000 transactions

I wonder how many of those sellers pay up to $200  a month to be there.

http://pages.ebay.com/storefronts/subscriptions.html

Edited by NickAu1, 01 April 2014 - 01:42 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users