I'm using windows 7, Home premium, service pack 1, x64 bit, 8 GB memory RAM.
I do not have any antivirus, windows defender turned off.
Last time formatted was 10-11 months ago and never did install any anti virus software.
I have been using daemon tools for months, probably since laptop last formatted.
The daemon tools stop working suddenly. I didn't recall installing anything prior. I think the problem occur due to sudden electricity lost when an image is still mounted and causes a corrupt file of SPTD.sys.
Daemon tools is uninstalled and reinstalled with no problem. But in order to fully functioning (mounting an image), it needs a working SPTD. This is the problem.
I did use the standalone installer (DuplexSecure's FAQ page for uninstalling the SPTD driver, I have tried this one before making a post here).
As you can see, the program does not detect I have a SPTD. but the file is visible above. This is the x64 installer. Tried x32 too, but wrong version.
Installing says the same thing: "system file write error. Disable possible antivirus applications."
- I never installed any antivirus software since the clean format. This error message before I even install malwarebytes with bit defender turned off.
- Scan with malwarebytes, result: clean
- Scan with malwarebytes, emulation disabled with defogger, result: clean
- Daemon tools installed or uninstalled, problem persists. Still can't install the SPTD due to old SPTD file is locked (I cannot rename / delete)
- Require my permission to delete this file, I am the admin and the only user of this laptop. Changing permission (nothing need to be changed actually). it keeps denying my access to delete it, even I have 'checked full control' checkbox of the file.
so all these drawn me to the conclusion this is a corrupted file due to sudden computer shut down (lost electricity).
Yes I did look to device manager.
In Computer management > system tools > Event viewer. The SPTD.sys is listed under error category
"Driver detected an internal error in its data structures for ."
Update --> Uptodate.
Uninstall --> Will be reinstalled automatically when the next time I run daemon tool. And will show the same error.
I do not see any troubleshoot button.
I did try uninstall/delete the file and registry in safe mode. Problem persists as if it's not in safe mode.
Edited by Purpleheart, 13 March 2014 - 12:21 AM.