Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NetGear and Windows issue-unknown device appearing on Windows file explorer

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Please help I'm confused, Ive noticed this problem on and off for over a year now and the last time I had this issue was about 6 months ago however I noticed a pattern when it typically shows up in Windows Explorer-network infrastructure sometimes as a Linksys device but now it's says Pace, what the? :question:  Does anyone have any idea whats the root cause of this? Because I'm not certain if my network being hacked or not I mean just about a couple weeks ago I made a mac white-list for my deices and just today I disabled the UPNP feature so what gives.

By the way I found a post on Google Groups about this same occurrence that I'm experiencing:  https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt.recovery.aa/99o_FswGmco

Who knows maybe my router might have been compromised by a malware infection, like in this discussion from your site:   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526443/more-hacked-routers-brand/

Either it's an old Netgear router from around 2009 and I've been thinking about installing some open source software on it to enhance it since there doesn't seem to be any new official updates for it any more.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:35 PM

Did you ever name your router?

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:55 PM

Yeah but speaking of which I also hid my router today as well and I disabled the pin access a long time ago, but I'll probably change the password and SSID soon and see what happens. By the way could someone still gain access to your router if they where to use the sync feature even if its configured to block all devices excluding ones you've white listed along with disabling pin access?

#4 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Yeah but speaking of which I also hid my router today as well and I disabled the pin access a long time ago, but I'll probably change the password and SSID soon and see what happens. By the way could someone still gain access to your router if they where to use the sync feature even if its configured to block all devices excluding ones you've white listed along with disabling pin access?

Well I changed my log-in password & security key as well as my SSID and apparently no luck, so after rebooting my router I found the same device but perhaps it's stuck in memory I guess I'll know soon enough though. And if your wondering why I was curious about someone using the sync feature to access another persons network its because just in case that someone might be entering my premises when I'm not around and tampering with my router after all no lock is completely fool proof. Thanks internet for showing anyone how to pick locks. :wacko: :oopsign:

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:38 PM

I Had this issue happen on my router, and I had to disable something I think it was Network Discovery or something like that to prevent my router from showing up in networking places.

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I Had this issue happen on my router, and I had to disable something I think it was Network Discovery or something like that to prevent my router from showing up in networking places.

:( Unfortunately I tried this as well, I'm suspecting it's a Trojan like somebody mentioned in the Google Group link above. I mean otherwise why would it continue to show up repeatedly even after all the security changes I just made to my router. On that topic how would go about blocking its mac address from Avast 9 free or Windows firewall cause I examined the Avast web-shield options last night and I'm not a %100 sure how to do this since in version 9 they've merged/streamlined different shields together in the past it was pretty obvious how to block network connections and I'm not even sure how if Windows Firewall can or how to do this with Windows FW.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 14 March 2014 - 01:23 PM

can you take a screen shot of what you are talking about and post it?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

can you take a screen shot of what you are talking about and post it?

I'm glad you asked cause that was my first instinct, but I censored any personal information in the original image just because this 'potential hacker' doesn't respect my privacy doesn't mean I don't have the courtesy there privacy.Attached File  unkown again device 3-10-14.jpg   50.38KB   0 downloads

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Do/Did you have DSL? because Pace 411n is a DSL modem/router. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pace-home-portal-802-11n-router/4845848.p?id=1218548311950& now that one is bought but there's a chance your ISP gave you the same model.

Do/Did you have a Linksys router? 

I seriously doubt someone is breaking into your place and only messing with your internet connection. 

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

Do/Did you have DSL? because Pace 411n is a DSL modem/router. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pace-home-portal-802-11n-router/4845848.p?id=1218548311950& now that one is bought but there's a chance your ISP gave you the same model.

Do/Did you have a Linksys router? 

I seriously doubt someone is breaking into your place and only messing with your internet connection. 

No I've always had Netgear router and I never had DSL, speaking of which about every 6-12 months I tend reload Windows so I find it hard to believe that different network devices would somehow linger in memory not unless your talking about my router's memory but that to would fall short since around a half a year ago I reset it. Ditto I also kinda doubt that somebody is interning my place and screwing with network, but it was more of a hypothetical question anyway.

So then perhaps it's some spyware or a trojen and if so exactly how would I find and remove it? I already did a scan with Avast free (bootscan), MBAM, Hitman Pro & Kaspersky rescue disk all come up clean.

#11 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

what is the make and model of your modem? I'd install insiDDer http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-IP-Scanner/InSSIDer.shtml and have a look at the other networks around you.

#12 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

what is the make and model of your modem? I'd install insiDDer http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Network-IP-Scanner/InSSIDer.shtml and have a look at the other networks around you.

OK I downloaded it, now exactly how do I use it to identify unwanted access to my network? By the way are there any open source alternatives to insiDDer that you would recommended?

#13 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:15 AM

What that program does is shows you what is around you broadcasting wireless. Do you see anything with the name Pace?

The newest version is paid but that version is free, you can use it once just to see what's around you and then uninstall it. It's mostly used when first setting up a wireless router to see what channels are most used so you can use a less crowded one. Most new routers available today will do it on their own but it's still fun to look at. Don't let it feed your paranoia.

What is the make and model of your modem?

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 03:22 AM

Try this http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com/

Tekken

#15 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 922 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Nice is it on par with insiDDer? Also it looks Everything, Wireshark & Nmap look prety good as well:

http://alternativeto.net/software/everything/?license=free

http://alternativeto.net/software/wireshark/?license=free

http://alternativeto.net/software/nmap/?license=opensource

Personaly I'd rather use something thats open source. :thumbsup2:

What that program does is shows you what is around you broadcasting wireless. Do you see anything with the name Pace?

The newest version is paid but that version is free, you can use it once just to see what's around you and then uninstall it. It's mostly used when first setting up a wireless router to see what channels are most used so you can use a less crowded one. Most new routers available today will do it on their own but it's still fun to look at. Don't let it feed your paranoia.

What is the make and model of your modem?

Well it (Pace) doesn't always show on my network but last night my bandwidth was kinda slow about 5mbps for upload speed its normally around 15mbps, and this isn't the first time this has happened ever since I've noticed this unknown device has been appearing on my network I've noticed the occasional slow down and just like last typically it coincides around the time I see some unknown device in my network. My router is a Netgear WNDR 3300. By the way whats the likelihood of someone accessing your system files (I disabled remote access from my router and Windows a long time ago) if there in your network?  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users