Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Old computer (new to me)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 cwmax2000

cwmax2000

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:11 PM

I work at a car dealership. It was sold to another company last July. They brought in all new computers. All the old pc’s were put into storage. The new company sold them to any employee who wanted one for $25.00. I got one. It is a HP model US876UT#ABA with windows 7 pro.

When it starts it tries to connect to the old network. States press cntrl-alt- delete to start. Then it gives a logon/password prompt.  I do not have a logon or password. I don’t care about any old info on it, I just want it for my daughters to use. I do have the windows product key.

What can I do?   Thanks for any help  Cmax

HP Pavilion m9040n
Q6600 2.4 Quad
Windows Vista Home Preminum 32 Bit
3 Meg RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
TV Tuner
Kapersky Internet security 2011

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 405 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:00 PM

Whenever I've acquired a good working used computer, one of the first things I do is go to the manufacturers support page & check the driver support for the OS it has installed, followed by a format & a clean install of the operating system. You have the Key for Win 7 Pro & it would seem that all you may need now is a copy of the OS. You can download your version of Win 7 from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Confirm whether you require the 32 or 64 bit version, download & then burn the image file [ISO] to a good quality DVD & install.

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 cwmax2000

cwmax2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

Whenever I've acquired a good working used computer, one of the first things I do is go to the manufacturers support page & check the driver support for the OS it has installed, followed by a format & a clean install of the operating system. You have the Key for Win 7 Pro & it would seem that all you may need now is a copy of the OS. You can download your version of Win 7 from here: http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/

Confirm whether you require the 32 or 64 bit version, download & then burn the image file [ISO] to a good quality DVD & install.

awesome, thanks I will! Cmax

HP Pavilion m9040n
Q6600 2.4 Quad
3 Meg RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
TV Tuner

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

The information you posted as being the HP model number is not the model number.

Is this a laptop or desktop?

For several years now OEM computer come with a System Recovery partition rather than providing an installation disc.  If I know what the model of the HP is I can provide you with instructions which can restore Windows to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 cwmax2000

cwmax2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

The information you posted as being the HP model number is not the model number.

Is this a laptop or desktop?

For several years now OEM computer come with a System Recovery partition rather than providing an installation disc.  If I know what the model of the HP is I can provide you with instructions which can restore Windows to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.

That's the number that is on the label. I googled it and it came up.(old sale listings). that's all I have. it is a desktop.

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2014 - 11:53 AM.

HP Pavilion m9040n
Q6600 2.4 Quad
3 Meg RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
TV Tuner

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,013 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:40 PM

Please answer this question I asked previously.

Is this a laptop or desktop computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users