Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Shuts Off Abruptly

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rnuckols

rnuckols

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

My computer will randomly shut down. To get it to turn back on, I have to flip the power supply switch off, then back on and then power off again. It usually doesnt happen when I am using my computer but it has. I was thinking that it was a power supply issue but am not quite sure. I have a 450W power supply so I think that I have plenty of power. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 PM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Hi rnuckols,

Power problems can be caused be a few things. I would run through this list...

Check to make sure all vents are free of dust.
Check that your processor fan - power supply fan - case fans are free and clear of dust and they turn freely. Additionally, pay close attention to the processor area - no dust allowed! :thumbsup:
Check to make sure everything is seated firmly. Reseat memory - adapters that are in your system. Make sure all cables are plugged and snug - inside and out.
Check to make sure your power switch is firmly attached to the case. Some models have plastic tabs holding them in place.
Check to see if your power supply's voltage selector is on the right setting. 115 vrs 230
Try another power source. If you have a surge protector, it may have been hit, and become unstable. Try another house receptacle.

Download Memtest86 and test your memory. It creates a boot disk and has easy to follow instructions.
Run diagnostics on you hard drive. You can use our Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools
Download SpeedFan and run it. It will give you temperatures and detected speeds of you fans and system. It will also display the voltages your power supply is outputting.

If all of the above checks out ok, unplug hard drives, floppies, CD/DVD drives and power the computer. If it runs fine then, Start to plug components back in.

Finally, replaced the power supply. They go bad.

Good luck rnuckols. I hope this helps.

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users