Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I need to run Hotmetal Pro on the 64 bit version of Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Prospero5554

Prospero5554

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

I use Hotmetal Pro as my HTML programme (I know it's 17 years old but it has a feature which allows me to copy and paste code easier than using MS Word so my output is very high). As 'content editor' to www.warwickshirerailways.com, Hotmetal Pro's copy and paste facility has helped me to write some 10,000 HTML pages and link a similar numbers of thumbnail and larger photos in a relatively short period of time. I have tried other HTML programmes but I find them too cumbersome and slow and with so many pages written to date adopting a different system is really not an option.

I had issues with running Hotmetal Pro on Windows 7 64 bit software after a few months of upgrading to a new Acer Aspire 8943G laptop (as indeed I have had with earlier versions of Windows on my old desktop PC). It would occasionally crash and when I tried to restart the programme it would start to load with the icon momentarily appearing before it would fade away. I tried all the MS advice of running Hotmetal as an older version within Windows 7 and whilst this has worked previously (but still with the occasional problem) with Windows XP etc it didn't seem to this time. I then read on line that the problem could be because I was using the 64 bit version of Windows 7 and that the 32 bit version was more compatible. I then had a PC engineer install the 32 bit version and generally it's now more stable.

However I am aware that there is other software that would help me enormously in developing the website (such as Perfect Resize) which needs Windows 7 64 bit as a minimum.

What I need and would really appreciate is advice as to how best can I enjoy the fruits of new 64 bit software whilst still being able to use legacy systems. Any help would be truly appreciated.

Many thanks

Edited by hamluis, 11 March 2014 - 05:32 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Development - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:51 PM

have you tried window 7 professional or higher? Can run apps in xp compatibility mode. You could also run a

virtual pc and install the xp os within it. Nothing wrong with that.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:52 PM

A bit of basic research led me to these options and your main problem.

You can try to Google "Hotmetal Pro on Windows 7 64 bit" but most results are negative.

Currently it "can" be installed on 32bit computers, but try the 2 programs below first.

The descriptions are not mine, but generally relate to the program from others.

HTML-Kit: very easy to use, but you need to know your HTML
Dreamweaver from Adobe: no need for HTML knowledge, but so far I don't understand how it works

Either way, I think it's time to say goodbye to some older 1990's web design apps

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:45 PM

No experience with these but they are open source alternatives to Dreamweaver.

KompoZer

Aptana Studio 3

BlueGriffon  - free but add-ons have nominal fee.

#5 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

If you just download fire fox and the html addons it has. it will out surpass

anything you have and every thing you want.

#6 Prospero5554

Prospero5554
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

Many thanks for the responses and your suggestions. Hotmetal Pro was bought out by Dreamweaver, hence it's demise, but unfortunately did not retain the 'Tags' facility which allows me to create HTML pages in seconds allowing me to use my time far more productively on adding content. I cannot stress enough just how easy and comfortable I have become using this software.

I have used and tried out other programs but whether it's my old age, I am retired, or whether it's because my technical competence is limited, I find them no where as good as Hotmetal Pro.

Would virtualisation be a possibility. I have heard of this technique but have no idea as to how difficult or easy this would be.

My thanks to everyone who has been kind enough to spare time to help.

Best wishes

#7 labradort

labradort

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 20 November 2014 - 07:35 PM

Hi there,

I used to do support for HoTMetaL Pro back in the day.  I'm surprised anyone uses it today,

but I know of some who learned it, and that is what is most familiar, so it can be the

most productive.

SoftQuad sold this to Corel.  SQ continued with the XML marketplace until it eventually fizzled.

Corel continued to sell and support for HoTMetaL for a little while, and then folded it.
They focused on XMetal, the XML editor.

HTML editors have gone into decline as CMS sites like blogging, Wordpress, etc. dominate

what people use today.  If people have a one off document to make for the web, they use

something that saves in HTML, which most word processors can do, or they create a PDF from

their word processor, which is very good for predictable and quality output on screen or paper.

Frontpage is the other dominant HTML editor from that time period and it has also fizzled out.

Generally, the need for web sites has moved towards more dynamic sites which interact

with databases (like this site).  Static HTML documents are produced once in a word processor

and can be saved in different formats without relearning more editors and HTML code.

We have HoTMetaL running fine on 32 bit Windows 7 on a couple of systems.  If you don't want to get

into running multiple computers, and HoTMetaL is the most important feature, it might be easier

to find alternatives to the "Perfect Resize" or similar tools.  I'd be surprised if software is being made

specific to 64 bit.  If you search, there might also be a 32 bit installer available.  The only benefit of

64 bit on Windows is if you have more than 4 GB of memory, and many older systems do not

have that.  If a company releases software only in 64 bit version, they are giving up a great number

of customers still on 32 bit systems.

If the system has a lot of memory and you are running 64 bit OS, the other option is installing another

32 bit windows within a virtualized system, but it would add the cost of another windows license.
One possibility is to buy a used laptop with 32 bit windows on it and use it for HoTMetaL.

The reason why the software isn't as stable this many years later can vary, but in general the code depends

on Microsoft DLLs - even some of the code used by Internet Explorer.  It is really surprising the

software even runs this many years later.  This isn't a situation unique to HoTMetaL, of course,

as most programs developed for Windows need this glue to support integration with the OS features

like drag and drop, standard dialog boxes, etc.

One of the things I find funny about HoTMetaL is how the name influenced other names.  Like the name

java, it was a trend setter.  But for SoftQuad the name had a basis.  The concept of "SoftQuad"'s company

name was that they did stuff in software to replace the typesetting done by lead type.  A "quad" is a piece

of lead used in typesetting for a space.  Thus, if you could control the layout in software typesetting, you

could consider it a "soft quad".  Then HTML came along.  They wanted a product with the letters HTML in it.

If you were working on a lead typesetting system, it produced hot pieces of lead, or hot metal.

So HoTMetaL was born as a clever name fitting this legacy (particularly fitting with their

connection with Coach House Press).  Shortly afterward, Hotdog was released by

Sausage Software, and Hotmail (running on BSD!) was born.  There was no reason they

had to be "hot", other than riding what seemed to be a trend in names.

#8 davidm123

davidm123

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 06:44 AM

sorry to post here but i cant find anywhere else to post this question Hi has anyone got a full copy of HOTMETAL PRO 6.0 as i am desperate for one. i had a copy but i lost my disk. I still have my licence number. if you can help please comment here Thank you in advance 

Mod Edit:  Duplicate posts in other BC forums have been deleted - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 07 June 2016 - 07:27 AM.

#9 julietjuliet

julietjuliet

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2016 - 07:00 AM

I do have  a copy of Hot Metal Pro 6 - but we still use the disc, so I am reluctant to let it out of my sight...though we are moving over to other software for website and will be finished with it by (probably) August.  Not sure how I can help? I am based in south wales

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users