Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Software for updating the drivers

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 myym

myym

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:33 PM

I wanted to hear your opinions on what software you think is more reliable for updating the drivers. The reason I ask is because I am currently running two driver update programs but each of them are showing different updates for the hardwares. I read somewhere that drivers for 64 bit processors are difficult to find and those companies usually update the 32 bit.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

Let`s stop using such a programs.Best drivers are from Manufacturer`s website.

#3 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:32 AM

Unfortunately not all companies update the drivers to the recent one, I own an Asus (and a Toshiba) and the drivers on Asus (and Toshiba too) homepage are the ones that already came when it was introduced, the only difference is the bios driver that gets updated.

However I have used these softwares to get the recent drivers and so far they haven't caused any troubles, but it wonders me why there are updates for some and the other program shows updates for other hardwares.

#4 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:36 AM

For which hardware components you look for drivers?

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

Don't use driver update software, it's not a good idea.

Are there some drivers you can't find? Or do you have all the drivers you need and you're just worried about keeping them updated in the future?

#6 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:07 PM

yeah just want to keep them updated to prevent any problems like BSOD. Actually I think its very difficult to find new drivers from manufactures as they produce many kinds for different regions and several models. But these update softwares firms seems to get the new drivers from a certain database

#7 Alex&Vanko

Alex&Vanko

• Banned
  • 1,394 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

You will receive BSOD when you update drivers not from right place,because they are not for you.

#8 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

You will receive BSOD when you update drivers not from right place,because they are not for you.

well that is my point... where are those right drivers?

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,891 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

As a general rule of thumb, the best place to get drivers is from the web-site of the manufacturer of the hardware in question.

Equally, it is not generally necessary to update hardware drivers if the ones you have are working perfectly well. Unlike operating systems and some well known trouble spots like Flash and Java, hardware drivers do not represent a security risk and therefore do not require patching in the same way as, say, Windows.

The time you do need to look for new drivers is if you are upgrading your operating system, for example, from Win 7 to Win 8 (or XP to whatever). It is on these occasions that you may have real difficulty finding drivers to work on your new operating system. Your old drivers MAY work in the new system or may not, in which case you have some hard choices to face if you can't find new ones. I had to bin a perfectly good, and fairly new, sound card when I updated from XP to Win 7 purely because it wasn't supported in Win 7.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:57 PM

You don't keep drivers updated to avoid problems. You update drivers to fix problems. If there's no problem, then updating a driver could create a problem. All you gotta do is find the right drivers, from the manufacturer's website, use them, and you're done. Occasionally you may need to update video drivers for games.

Tell us what hardware you have and what driver you are looking for.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:21 AM

Most newer OEM laptops usually with recovery partitions such as Dell, HP, Asus, Acer, Lenovo, etc. have their bundled software update utilities for specific models. If by chance they are removed, see the support site driver's section.

Tekken

#12 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:59 AM

I am currently having an issue with wifi card on of my laptops where I get disconnected and have to manually reconnect even though my ISP is not the culprit, one of those programs show that there is an update for the wifi card but the other one is not showing, even on manufactures site I cant see the recent driver.

#13 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 03:34 PM

What is your laptop brand and model number? Do you use the built in wifi or a usb or pcmcia card?

Do you have a separate router, or do you just have the ISP combined modem+router?

At least based on the information you have supplied so far, your laptop's wifi adapter might not even be the problem, it could be your router (even if other computers don't get disconnected).

#14 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

Personally i use a GPO (Computer config\admin templates\system\device installation) then select "Specify search order for*****" and set to install from Windows Update Last/Or First, thats your choice.

Then i set the common GUID's of PnP objects found at (Computer config\admin templates\system\driver installation) adn select "Allow non admins to install" and then add the GUID. There is a common list downloadedable from Microsoft. Also disabling code signing as well can help, also i think you can create a driver repositry through group policies as well for target machiens to look for drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users