Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring a hard drive (boot drive) from one computer to another

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 GtrsRGr8

GtrsRGr8

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:36 PM

Hi. I'm new here. And, I don't know all that much about computers.

I did a search and didn't find a thread which quite addressed the issue that I'm having, so I've created a new thread. I hope that I'm not out of line.
I have a Win 7 laptop that is barely hanging on. The hard drive is good, though. I just bought a new laptop, with Win 8.1 (ugh), thinking that I could pull the hard drive from that machine and drop the hard drive from the old machine right in and everything would work just fine (seeing that it involves PC computers, I should have known better). Well, I got a message something like "boot device not found . . . . install boot device . . . . blah, blah, blah." I put the original hard drive (with the Win 8.1) back in the new laptop and the new laptop boots fine. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Oh, why do I want to use the old hard drive? Well, to 1) avoid having to transfer data, reinstall programs. You know the drill. 2) Have Win 7, not Win 8.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

When a OS is installed it copies files for all the hardware components...memory, video, sound, motherboard, etc. Moving the drive to a new computer with the OS intact will not work because it won't recognize the new components. Kind of like putting a diesel part into a gasoline engine. 

If the win7 system came preloaded (win7 was already installed when you purchased the laptop) Then it's an OEM license and you CANNOT keep the win7 OS if you want to switch the drive. You will need to copy your user profile data off the win7 drive and and then format it. You will lose all your programs as well.

#3 GtrsRGr8

GtrsRGr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Thanks Netghost56. That was most of the information that I needed to know. What is involved in copying my user profile data off of the Win 7 drive?

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

Everything that you want should be in C:\Users\USERNAME.  Where USERNAME is the name of your account.  You might want to check out the Microsoft Easy Transfer

#5 MakeItBetter

MakeItBetter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

Everything that you want should be in C:\Users\USERNAME.  Where USERNAME is the name of your account.  You might want to check out the Microsoft Easy Transfer

Yeah, there are some idiosyncrasies in win8/8.1 -- even for my win 8 machine, my manufacturer has changes I have to download before I could upgrade to win8.1 (which reminds me, I was going to read the thread on whether that's a good idea or not...)

Don't be TOO quick to dismiss win8/8.1 ... 8 definitely takes some getting used to ... but if you manage to bypass the metro/modern interface, there are actually some very nice features, like...
1. rapid boot times
2. some cool changes to task manager
3. they've gotten rid of the resource-intensive aero graphics interface. (YAY!)
(Some time back my Vista machine had gotten so slow that I thought I'd have to get another...futzing around with graphics made it MUCH faster...so, I'm not at all sad to see Aero go.)
4. additional security measures...

There are other things I like, as well, but I've been told at least some of them were already in win7.

...and second the recommendation of checking out Microsoft Easy Transfer...I just discovered that the other day...yet another cool feature in the dusty hidden corners of Windows...

Cheers!

Jann

Edited by Queen-Evie, 12 March 2014 - 11:29 PM.
edited per request of OP

#6 GtrsRGr8

GtrsRGr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Excellent information! Thanks for the help from both of you! I actually subscribe to several computer magazines and remember now reading a thing or two about the Easy Transfer. I hadn't given it much thought, though, since I was sure that I would never use Win 8. lol. BTW-the new laptop has 8.1 installed on it, so I won't have to fool with the upgrade from 8 to 8.1. Yes, I will have to make the best of it with Win 8 and maybe will come to appreciate it, or at least some things about it, I am going to see what I can do to make the interface resemble Win 7's more, though. That was something else that I remember reading something about in the computer magazines, but to which I did not pay much attention . . . .

#7 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Once you get past the Metro screen and get on the Desktop, 8 is practically the same as 7, IMO.

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Call your laptop manufacturer and see if they will send you a free Windows 7 dvd (you will have to pay for shipping though). Toshiba did that for me a few months ago for a new windows 8 laptop. It may not be an option for your laptop but it's worth finding out.

#9 GtrsRGr8

GtrsRGr8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 05:04 PM

Thanks, bludshot, I'll try that.

#10 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:45 PM

Hopefully you saw the big "blue" note in the link that provided for Easy Transfer. If not, it will NOT transfer any applications/programs. Those you will have to re-install yourself "manually". It only transfers documents (i.e. files, photos, videos, music, etc) and most system settings.

In addition to trying to get free Windows 7 disc from the computer manufacturer as bludshot suggested, you could buy your own license for Windows 7 if you REALLY wanted to run Windows 7 rather than Windows 8.1. You can still buy Windows 7 from the likes of Newegg, Amazon, etc. Before you even contemplate doing that, however, you should check with the computer manufacturer to see if they even offer all the need drivers for Windows 7 for your new computer. And you will still be faced with the same "transfer" issues from the old computer to the new computer even if you get Windows 7 on the new computer.

FWIW, I tend to agree with the others that say that Windows 8 is not that bad. As at least one other person has noted, once you get into Desktop mode, it is really not all that much different than Windows 7. This can be especially true with some of the third-party programs that add back a Start Menu alternative/substitute. Windows 8.1 has helped quite a bit even without resorting to third party programs. It is rather easy to setup a Windows 8/8.1 to boot directly into the Desktop mode and have it set so that you essentially never need to go to the new interface at all…it just might take a third party program to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users