Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Flashing cursor and colored squares scrolling

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 hitohito

hitohito

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:21 PM

This is my first post and I am hoping someone could help.

I have a dell desktop running XP Pro 32 bit. Alll was working fine until a reboot.

After the BIOS screen, a flashing cursor appears in the top left corner for about 15 seconds, then a bunch of squares with characters start flashing and scrolling in a random pattern.

These are the troubleshooting steps and all resulted in same exact outcome

Replaced RAM

Replaced video card

reseated all cables

replaced the hard drive from another working machine and it booted fine.

took out the hard drive and hooked it to an external reader and ran chksk /f on a working computer ... no erros.

I called a techie friend and he suggested that it could be a virus ....

Can someone please suggest a fix?

Thank you very much

Edited by hamluis, 12 March 2014 - 09:13 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TechMarvel

TechMarvel

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:50 AM

It doesn't sound like a virus to me...it could be, but most don't show up that way...

At first I was going to suggest a new video card, but now i'm guessing it's the motherboard or CPU.....

What happens if you turn on the computer with all the boot devices (hard drive, cd drive, usb drive) unplugged?  Do you get the crazy cursor?  Did you hook up hard drive to another computer and run an antivirus program on it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users