Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway ZX4270 - Wont turn on

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jjm1819

jjm1819

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

Hello,

I am brand new here and hoping someone may be able to help me out. I just purcahsed this computer in late January for work at home. I have only started and used it maybe 15 yimes since then. Yesterday wen't to turn it on and nothing. Made sure the outlet was working by testing other electricals. Unplugged the power cord a few times and nothing. I press the power button and nothing at all. Any ideas on what may have happened or more importantly what I can try to do to fix this?

Thank you. If you have any questions please let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:36 PM

If it has a power adapter ac to dc adapter (not just a regular power cord) I would test the power adapter with a multimeter for correct voltage. Visually inspect USB ports for damage or shorting pins. These are the first things to rule out.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 jjm1819

jjm1819
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

I will give this a try, thank you for your help!

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:14 PM

A Zingo says, test the power adapter. If it is good or bad, move on to the next step, contacting Gateway.

I would contact Gateway even if You find the problem. It sounds like a hardware problem and that is one thing that a warranty should definitely cover.

You should not have to pay to fix any hardware problems during the warranty period.  Not turning on is a hardware problem and not a software problem.

From a Quick Google it appears You are using a All-In-One desktop. Quite often these are a mix of Desktop and Laptop parts. And are harder to service. For example I am on a Lenovo All-In-One right now. It uses laptop memory and DVD burner, however the hard drive is a desktop drive.

A quick question: When You say it will not turn on do you mean the power light is not lighting?

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 jjm1819

jjm1819
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:16 PM

Thank you for your response. And yes, it is completely off when I try to turn it on. When I push the button nothing happens, no light, no fan just black and dead.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Hi

To me that says You need to call Gateway about warranty service,

Good Luck .

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

I agree with rotor, even if it is the power adapter, if it is under warranty (gateway and most other companies have a 1 year warranty) they should replace the part at no charge.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 jjm1819

jjm1819
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:37 PM

Thanks a lot guys. Do you know what I need to provide to take advantage of the warranty? Recepit from Best Buy, origional box etc...?

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:57 PM

Simple, Have the Best Buy receipt to hand to give them the purchase date, They may want to see it, if so send a copy. Always keep the original.

There should be a support telephone number in the documentation in the box. Keep the Box in case You have to send it in. They should send a Box with a prepaid return label. HP and Toshiba and Lenovo all do that from what I have Observed.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. Use this link to their support page. http://support.gateway.com/support/ask_gateway.aspx

It should not hurt to do this too

Post Purchase Links

Product Registration

Edited by rotor123, 11 March 2014 - 01:58 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:00 PM

By the way You have to get a RMA number from them. You can not just send it in. Their support people should have instructions on how to do that.

RMA  = Return merchandise authorization

Needed for returns or warranty in most cases.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users