Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I am at a lose I need help please

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ladymav

ladymav

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:07 AM

I am running windows xp pro *no idea which SP* About a week ago, I noticed my computer was running super slow, so I ran CCcleaner on it saved the changes to the registry *just encase something went wrong* and went to restart my computer. Windows demands to do an update  I restart the computer to see if that helped fix my lag issue. Now I am locked out of my computer it keeps asking for an admin password which I don't have one. I have always just clicked enter when the empty log in box poped up. Now it is saying that my password and user name are incorrect. I have tried everything I can think of to do *a side from backing up my hard drive and re-installing the OS* I have tried the hidden backdoor admin account in safe mood *it's gone*, I have tried common factory passwords such as admin, Admin, 1234, and so on, I have even used an xp password reset software. It scans my computer and it says I have no password set    So now I am locked out of my computer by a password that does not exist. I have even tried to do the recovery console on a CD and it to says my password is incorrect. I have tried Last known good config, Also I have no option to do a rollback it seems either. What else can I try to do? A side from backing up and re-installing? Please help I have been needing to access and use the programs *some of which I will not be able to ever use again if I have to re-install* and files on my computer for days now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ladymav

ladymav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

Note I am not asking for the password I am asking for what I can do to access my computer again

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:01 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

#4 ladymav

ladymav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

It is a Dell Latitude D610

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:57 PM

Can you access Safe mode with command prompt or does it also ask does a password? If it does use administrator for user and then press enter without providing a password.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 March 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#6 ladymav

ladymav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

it requires the password in safe mode with command prompt as while and just click enter does not work. the hidden back up admin account is gone it seems

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:29 PM

I would activate the hidden admin account using a boot disk. Do not try to reset your account because if it is encrypted you will lose everything. You will have to burn the iso file with a program like imgburn or burning software that can burn iso files. You cannot just copy the iso to the CD. You may have to tap the F12 key at boot to give you the option of the boot device.

If you need help with burning the iso, I can provide some links.

Follow the steps carefully here. Edit: Even though it shows it working for Win 7, it should also work for XP.

If it does not work, we can still get your important files off with a linux disk or by attaching the drive to another computer if the files are not encrypted.

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 March 2014 - 01:32 PM.

#8 ladymav

ladymav
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:10 PM

I hadnt thought of the boot disk idea yet thanks for the suggestion JohnC_21  :)

yeah my files are not encrypted so I can use my data transfer cables to get what I really need off of my hard drive before formating and re-installing. *which is the last option I want to do* I was just trying to do everything else I could before do that.

thank you very much for your help and suggestions

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,416 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:54 AM

FWIW:  Although it seems that this is a Windows password, not a BIOS password, you may want to look at http://en.community.dell.com/dell-groups/new-to-community/f/3511/p/19362721/19813398.aspx .  It had occurred to me that this may be the result of a failing CMOS battery (which can produce unpredicatable system problems but that's just a possibility and I'm not familiar with Dell systems and passwords employed.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users