Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't sleep or shut down, on ANY OS.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Truefire

Truefire

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:45 AM

Hi there,

I had to take apart my laptop (Dell Inspiron N4010, i3, 2gb, 300+gb HDD) to replace the screen recently. When I put it all back together, neither Windows 7 Home Premium, Ubuntu 13.10, Lubuntu 13.10, or a Chrome OS build (Latest from Hexxeh as of Jan 2014) will command the computer to sleep or shutdown properly. All that happens is the screen goes blank (all the lights indicate it is NOT sleeping) and it just sits there until I hold down the power button. Not ideal. 

Frankly, this thing is a piece of crap, and Lubuntu is the only thing that runs well on it. Unfortunately, I'm broke. I'm a tech by trade, but don't know much of hardware specifically. I'm guessing I bumped some little thing that somehow prevents the computer from entering another power mode.

Any ideas would be awesome. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

It might be possible that ubuntu/lubuntu do not fully support the chipset. If you have a fresh install of windows, make sure you get all the drivers from dell. The other thought would be to try putting it to sleep from safe mode in windows. What did you take apart to replace the screen? Did you remove the battery and power adapter while replacing the screen? It seems unlikely you would bump anything pertaining to putting the computer to sleep. I had a lenovo that had this same problem, even in windows 7 with the correct driver directly from them it would not go to sleep. I ended up disabling the hardware that was causing it to fail to go to sleep/shutdown which I beleive was part of ACPI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface The computer never went to sleep after this but it would shut down.

If you are closing the lcd panel and it is not going to sleep, the magnet that triggers the sensor may have fallen out of the lcd panel back cover.

You might try resetting the bios to default settings. After powering on tap F2, find the default settings, restore it to those and save and exit.

Edited by zingo156, 12 March 2014 - 07:48 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:06 AM

And you might see if there is a firmware/BIOS update for the laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users