Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer booting issues get 1 long beep Awards Bio

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TKF

TKF

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

Hi  I’m having a problem troubleshooting the title, I can’t seem to track it down, any help would be appreciated the problem I’ve been having is sporadic when booting up I get 1 long beep over and over  before post I have to  power down with power button, It does boot to windows sometimes and runs I’ve tried to reboot when running, and get the long beep again I’ve gotten BSOD with 0x0000050,0x000000A codes before, which from searching points to memory or hardware Issues I’ve run memtest86+ and get errors at test #5 at 98% with both sticks in, ran same test with one stick at a time, in different slots  with no errors through pass 1,  I’ve reset to bios, run test on HD, tested good when I could get it to run, also have removed all other hardware and have gotten same long beep , not sure  what to test next or where go from here to track  this problem down.

Any help or suggestions or Ideas would be greatly appreciated    

Specs are MSI KM4M MB with AMD 2500 cpu

Patriot DDR 2700 2x1GB memory

Seagate 1TB HD

Nvidia 6200 VGA card

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Long beeps mean bad memory. Memtest on your ram sometimes gives errors. Suggests bad memory.

The MSI KM4M has 4 ram slots and says it supports a maximum of 2gb of ram. That makes me think that the largest individual ram chip size that it properly supports is 512MB, but you have 1gb's in there.

Perhaps that is the issue

#3 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:12 AM

Do you have the KM4M-L or the KM4M-V?  The largest ram the L model supports is 512. Looks like the V supports some 1gb chips though.

Edited by bludshot, 11 March 2014 - 11:12 AM.

#4 TKF

TKF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the reply bloodshot not sure about it being a L or V the MB only has 2 slots with a max rating of 2GB since my first post I came across some known good memory,(same specs)and tried it to no avail still get long beep. I would think
the MB might be the issue but my past experience with failing MBs is they don't work at all or fail when they heat up any suggestion that could be causing this issue.

Thanks in advance

#5 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:35 PM

Oh, yeah, derp. I read "Supports four memory banks using two 184-pin DDR DIMM" on the MSI site and I guess I didn't pay attention after the 3rd word there heh.

My only suggestion is if you have any extra cards in the computer (like a sound card or something) try taking it out and see if it still beeps.

Hopefully someone around here has a better idea for you. If you could research your motherboard/bios beep codes that might help too.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Hi  I’m having a problem troubleshooting the title, I can’t seem to track it down, any help would be appreciated the problem I’ve been having is sporadic when booting up I get 1 long beep over and over  before post I have to  power down with power button, It does boot to windows sometimes and runs I’ve tried to reboot when running, and get the long beep again I’ve gotten BSOD with 0x0000050,0x000000A codes before, which from searching points to memory or hardware Issues I’ve run memtest86+ and get errors at test #5 at 98% with both sticks in, ran same test with one stick at a time, in different slots  with no errors through pass 1,  I’ve reset to bios, run test on HD, tested good when I could get it to run, also have removed all other hardware and have gotten same long beep , not sure  what to test next or where go from here to track  this problem down.

Any help or suggestions or Ideas would be greatly appreciated    

Specs are MSI KM4M MB with AMD 2500 cpu

Patriot DDR 2700 2x1GB memory

Seagate 1TB HD

Nvidia 6200 VGA card

If both sticks of ram pass in both slots alone, your ram is likely ok, I recommend 2-3 passes with memtest to be certain. Because you do have errors with both sticks in, it sounds like your ram controller is the problem. With more than 1 stick of ram it will be more stressed and sometimes running dual channel can cause errors. I am looking into the main board and cpu, most of the newer cpu's have the ram controller built into the cpu, in this case it would likely be the cpu causing the problem. I will report back to you when I have determined if your amd2500 has built in memory controller or if it is on the main board.

Edited by zingo156, 13 March 2014 - 01:18 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

I looked around it does appear that the AMD E1 2500 has an integrated memory controller so it is possible the cpu is at fault.

Before we swap out the cpu, lets inspect the main board for bulging or blown capacitors... Visually inspect your main board for any sign of these: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=uvMhU6-QA4T4yQGn2oCgBg&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1272&bih=734

Blown capacitors will almost always cause issues with stability.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 01:17 PM

One of your blue screens (0x50) indicate a possible hardware level read write to memory problem. The other indicates a driver may have crashed due to read write errors, may be related to the failed hardware.

Here is information on your BSOD errors

0x50: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559023%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

0xA: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff560129%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Edited by zingo156, 13 March 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#9 TKF

TKF
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

Thanks for the help zingo156  I've run more memory test  since my first posts without any errors (through 13 passes), no bulging or blown capacitors on MB or video card

, I got it running yesterday and let it run for 10hr with no BSOD or crashes seemed to run without any issues ran 3 virus scans all clean,

But when trying to boot it today same long beep couldn't get it running, even through I haven't gotten any bad video card codes not sure if could be the issue, don't have another one to replace it with for testing,

I'm guessing it could be the power supply, cpu, or MB not sure how to test just the cpu or MB not worth replacing those parts as in the process of elimination for this old of a system Thanks again for the help any more would welcomed  

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

It sounds more like a psu problem to me at the moment if it ran stable for that long. Cold starts with bad psu's often fail.

Because it is free:

You could try re-seating your ram a few times to clean up the connections, otherwise you can run the ram in single channel rather than dual channel, usually with amd single channel would be using ram slots 0,1 or 2,3 together. Dual channel is usually 0,2 or 1,3. If it is the ram controller causing the issue, using one stick or running in single channel mode may fix the problem. 1 stick of ram might be the best solution...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users