Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to fix win7 MBR from a WinXP USB link

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ram090

ram090

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

I deleted the MBR/partition on my PC's HD, I had a laptop HD connected via USB(I was testing it) and even though the laptop HD came up as a 'disk' it was not fully recognized, I was playing about with a HD tool, whisky something and deleted my own HD's MBR instead of the laptop one.

On the next boot of the PC I get,

Status: 0xc000000e. Info: The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible

After connecting the PC's HD via USB to another laptop(Win XP) I can see all the files on the drive, I think I used the whisky app again and it showed the drive just as a 'disk' with no partitions(and I assume MBR).

So it seems bootrec and BCDEdit are the win 7 tools to use from within win 7 although I am working from win xp which uses fixboot, fixmbr, boocfg etc.

So how(if I can) fix the mbr and partitions of the win 7 HD from a win xp drive via usb?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 01:39 PM

XP tools...work on XP systems.

Win 7 tools work on either both.

You cannot repair a Win 7 boot problem...just using XP.

Do you have a Win 7 install DVD?

Louis

#3 ram090

ram090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:30 AM

XP tools...work on XP systems.

Win 7 tools work on either both.

You cannot repair a Win 7 boot problem...just using XP.

Do you have a Win 7 install DVD?

Louis

No, is there such a thing as a win 7 repair disk, that just has the command line repair options?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:42 AM

Repair Install - Windows 7 Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Repair Install - Windows 7 Help Forums - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/3413-repair-install.html

Repair Install - Windows 7 - http://www.w7forums.com/repair-install-t1204.html

Louis

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:13 PM

Click on the Start orb and type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

cmd will appear above the Search box under Programs, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt open type in bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter.

Hopefully you will receive the following message.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 0
The operation completed successfully.

If you receive the following message you will need to rebuild the Boot Configuration Data.  If this turns out to be the case we will go on from there.

Successfully scanned Windows installations.
Total identified Windows installations: 1
[1]  D:\Windows  (D: is the drive letter, this may be different on your computer)
Add installation to boot list? Yes<Y>/No<N>/All<A>:

Edited by dc3, 12 March 2014 - 02:14 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ram090

ram090
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 04:53 AM

Did you not read what I said, I said I have the win7 HD connected via usb to a windows xp laptop, windows xp doesn't have boot.rec and wouldn't even run it if I downloaded a copy of it. Are there not any tools out there that will allow me to repair the win7 mbr via usb from windows xp?

Edited by hamluis, 13 March 2014 - 07:14 PM.
Removed unnecessary quote - Hamluis.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:50 PM

Yes I read it.  I thought you would understand that you would need to do this from the computer with the hdd installed, not through a USB port.

By the way, you don't need to quote each of my replies.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users