Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Update For Spyware Doctor 3.1.0.312

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gem2390

gem2390

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 03:56 PM

I downloaded the free version of spyware doctor 3.1.0.312. with this version i am able to remove spyware, the problem is when i go to live update, the update progress bar only goes to 1/3 of the way and freezes. i cant find a way of updating it. is there any fix for this or any place where i can download the update files manually??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

Ummm...I hate to tell you but Spyware Doctor isn't free. You need to pay $29.99 to remove the stuff it finds. Plus it's spyware! Trust me, I used the product...PC Tools is something I used to swear on, but when it found viruses that no other antivirus software found, I got suspcious.DO NOT use PC Tools. Stick with the following antispyware programs:

-Lavasoft Adaware SE Personal
-Spybot Search & Destroy

and you should be fine. As for antivirus, Trend Micro PC-CILLIN is an excellent program. Use that if you can. You need to buy it....I've seen a downloadable license for $20.00 on www.buycheapsoftware.com . If you just use PC-CILLIN, Spybot Search & Destroy, & AdAware SE Personal, you'll be fine.

Regards,
Jes
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:09 PM

Let's see, where to start... Oh yeah....

"Spyware Doctor has consistently been awarded Editors' Choice, by leading PC magazines and testing laboratories around the world, including United States, United Kingdom, Sweden, Germany and Australia. All current versions of Spyware Doctor have won Editors' Choice awards from PC Magazine in United States. In addition, after leading the market in 2005, Spyware Doctor was awarded the prestigious Best of the Year at the end of 2005.

Spyware Doctor continues to be awarded the highest honors by many of the worlds leading PC publications such as PC Pro, PC Plus, PC Authority, PC Utilities, PC Advisor, PC Choice, Microdatorn, PC Answers Magazine plus number of reputable 5-star ratings including CNET's Download.com and Tucows.

Now don't you suppose that if it was somehow malicious, the people that actually know what they are talking about would have found it by now? And one person I really trust (Eric Howe.... he is very well known in the industry) considers Spyware Doctor as a top 5 app for anti-spyware.

I don't mind people griping about a product because things do happen, but in your own words, "but when it found viruses that no other antivirus software found" is wrong in so many ways that I have to speak up.. First of all, it finds spyware, not viruses. Anti-virus software finds viruses (among other things). So what you are saying is that your anti-spyware application, which is designed to find spyware, found more spyware than your anti-virus, which is an application designed to find viruses..... I'll let you consider that on your own.

So as far as "Trust Me", that just doesnt lend very much credibility. If you don't mind, check out your facts before making claims or giving advice. You may want to consider the fact that there are a good many security professionals that frequent the board.

gem2390, there are quite a few threads regarding how to secure a system, which (free) products to use, and best practices.

EDIT: ANd no, I don't knw where the files can be downloaded manually. Maybe try installing the latest version?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

I think there is more than one spyware doctor. Encore spyware doctor seems to be to be the one that Cnet rated. When googling the other spyware doctor 3.1.0.312, Siteadvisor put a big red X by the first 10 download sites.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 05:52 PM

Here is the first page of Google for Spyware Doctor:
http://www.google.com/search?q=spyware+doc...:en-US:official

When I use spyware doctor 3.1.0.312, I get:
http://www.google.com/search?hs=o25&hl=en&...312&btnG=Search
Which is all serials..

What search are you doing?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 15 May 2006 - 08:16 PM

gem2390---I got so curious about this program that thru my researching it I decided to try it out. The latest program is Spyware Doctor 3.8 and the updating worked with no problem. If you are still having a problem I suspect you have either an old edition or a bad download and in either case the best solution is to delete and install the 3.8 version. The free version is not a fully functional version. In my opinion the differences are minor.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 gem2390

gem2390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:19 AM

I downloaded the new version of spyware doctor (3.8) and bought a serial key. When i try to update it still freezes, is there some kind of worm or bug stopping it??

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 11:33 AM

Did you uninstall the first version? Sorry can't help otherwise. The program is working perfectly for me. Maybe someone else who has experienced the same will reply.

#9 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 AM

Posted 21 May 2006 - 09:30 PM

Where exactly did you get spyware doctor from? Are you sure you're not using a ROGUE anti-spyware program look-a-like such as SpyDoctor? Because like Jesse said, Spyware Doctor isn't free and doesn't remove spyware without you paying (trust me I know; I have it).
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,501 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

Never said it was fully functional, as is the case with a lot of free ware.

Note: This time-unlimited trial version does not remove existing threats during scans, but real-time detection and removal of incoming threats is enabled.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users