Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Samsung RC512 Laptop Overheating?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jvizanko

jvizanko

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:36 PM

I have a Samsung RC512 laptop that I believe has been overheating lately when I run games or SolidWorks.  I can run (any it seems) game or a large amount of assemblies / geometry in SolidWorks for a few minutes and then the PC just hard-shuts down on its own.  I've used the app Realtemp to monitor the temperature, and the temps will get into the 90's C territorty before it shuts itself down.  Normal "idle" temps are in the high 40's C.  The most recent game I ran was South Park Stick of Truth, which I would imagine cannot be THAT taxing on the system, and it can only run for about 10 minutes max before it shuts down.  I took it to geek squad and they took a brief look and took an air canister to it and said it is "probably" not due to it being overly dirty inside based off what they saw.  This could be believable, this puppy has sat in basically the same spot on a flat wood surface forever.

I am wondering if there is anything basic I could do diagnostically to determine if there are any hardware issues at the root of this?  Should I have just told them to do a full internal cleaning regardless of what they said?  I tried my wife's (not so top of the line) cooling pad and that couldn't stop the heat train.  I have a better one in the mail, but based on what the wife's did, I fear I'm stilling going to be trying to stop a train by throwing marshmallows at it.

Any / all advice is much appreciated.  This computer never used to have this problem no matter what I threw at it.  Its been a great laptop for almost 3 years now and it would be hard to convince my wife to get an acceptable (or better!) replacement this soon.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BaMX5WIJrsKwG5RZ65TDjIm

Operating System
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
    Intel Core i7 2630QM @ 2.00GHz    50 °C
    Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
    6.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
    SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. RC512 (CPU 1)    51 °C
Graphics
    Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@60Hz)
    Intel HD Graphics Family (Samsung)
    1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M (Samsung)    42 °C
Storage
    698GB Hitachi HTS547575A9E384 (SATA)    36 °C
Optical Drives
    TSSTcorp DVDWBD TS-LB23A
Audio
    Realtek High Definition Audio

Edited by jvizanko, 10 March 2014 - 08:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jvizanko

jvizanko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:28 PM

Cooling pad update:

So I got the cooling pad and ran some games.  With Crysis 1 to the highest settings this system can handle, Speccy was showing a top temp of ~85 for the motherboard, ~80 for the CPU, and about ~75 for the graphics, and obviously I couldn't get the system to overheat and shut down.

Sooooo.....  do I just say to myself "3 year old pc, I guess I can live with a cooling pad" and shut up and walk away?  Or is there something we can still explore, considering for over 2 years I never had this issue?

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,759 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:02 PM

It would be a good idea to clean it, you can buy a can of compressed air and blow it ou, the fan is more than likely full of dust.  Most LT's can be blow out through their cooling grills.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:44 PM

Hi, apart from cleaning the dust out of the CPU cooler, you can also reapply the thermal paste of CPU and GPU which should in theory reduce the temperature.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users