Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is a PCI-e SATA III card going to improve SSD/pc speed?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 biblipeacay

biblipeacay

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:25 PM

My cousin's pc: Intel G620 CPU 2.6 GHz || 4GB RAM || Hitachi 1TB spinny disc || 120GB Samsung 840 series SSD || Mobo: Asus P8H61-MX

The SSD was installed recently but the mobo only has SATA II ports. We are considering trying out a PCI-e card that provides a SATA III port but there seems to be ambiguous or complicated (control stuff I don't understand) or negative commentary around plus a very wide range of price/options that all makes my head spin.

From here we find the slots available: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H61MX/#specifications 

1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1 
1 x PCIe 2.0 x4

There's already a GPU, sound card & a USB 3.0 card on board. My cousin doesn't game or listen to much music so the GPU or sound card could be removed to rely on the mobo.

Is there a recommended cheapish card around?? And which of these pci slots should/shouldn't it be installed in? (my understanding is that there's an incremental increase in speed with one of them but full -potential- 6GBs is only possible through one of them, is that right??

My cousin's pc is nicely zippy right now for their medium level usage, so the alternative would NOT be to upgrade mobo, chip etc; it would be to leave the machine as-is. But (!) they have an SSD and in my view, they ought to try for the optimum speed, if feasible. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 biblipeacay

biblipeacay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:56 AM

OOOooooK. Well, for anyone who passes by and wonders about any of this... I can tell you that an opportunity presented itself to purchase a very reasonable pcie sata iii card today and I just installed it. Everything is working fine; I'm not altogether sure how I can test the speed other than to say, even with some residual win boot menu problems, it boots to functioning ADSL (my point of finishing booting) in 43 secs which is not too bad. It 'feels' faster, but I'm not sure: it's not my pc, so I don't have intimate feelings about it. The SSD was put in a month ago and that made a lot of difference, so if adding this pcie sata iiii to the pcie-4 slot (which ought to be full speed 6GB/s) is a further improvement, it might take more general usage to judge the new normal. I'll suss out the oddities of booting (mobo screen appears twice plus now the RAID control screen plus the windows boot menu screen showing only a single win7 copy ---> all of this is a bit much/ a bit weird. I'll nut it out somehow).

#3 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:03 AM

If you are still curious about relative speed differences and/or is it worth it to go to SATA III, this might help:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sata-6gbps-performance-sata-3gbps,3110-8.html

The gist of the article's summary is that while going to full 6 Gbps SSD and motherboard will help, it will not likely help enough to stress about it.

Regardless, it sounds like it is a moot point since you did go ahead and get a new SATA 3 card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users