Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Curious Firefox Video Behavior

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Well, I have a minor but quite annoying problem with Firefox. (This is the unadulterated version, not one that was tampered with.) I'm have a couple of screenshots if needed to illustrate the problem, but I should be able to describe it well enough.

My homepage is CNN. When you open their index page, there is always a headline story at the top, accompanied by either a photo or a video. There is also a sidebar on the right of the page with some activity, such as live screening of the channel, financial updates, etc. None of these will operate for me in Firefox. I've tested it out with Opera, and the site is perfectly functional. This issue only occurs in Firefox, and it gets curious because it only happens at the CNN web site. I can watch video all over the web, just not at CNN if I'm using Firefox

I initially thought that this was a java issue. I made sure that I have the latest version of java on my computer, and then tried to enable it in Firefox. To do this, you use the Add-ons section, and enable java from there. The problem is, there is no reference to java in the Add-ons section. I have tried reinstalling java, restarting Firefox, restarting the computer, etc. - all of the things I can think of. 

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. I know I'm missing something that will probably make me smack my forehead, but I've learned that I can show my lack of knowledge here without embarrassment... :D

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

If it is a Java issue then you might want to take a look at this:

http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/use-java-plugin-to-view-interactive-content
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

Might take a look at How to allow Java on trusted sites | Firefox Help too.

I think it is a JavaScript issue though and not a Java problem.  Just pulled up CNN.com and neither the "headline story" nor the "sidebar on the right" would display/function properly until I allowed/un-blocked some scripts.

But Java has never been installed on this computer.

#4 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 537 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 02:31 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. I had a bit of a process to fix this - I read in Budapest's link that I should be using the "64-bit version of Firefox." So, I did a search, went to the Firefox link and clicked on it. That brought me to a site called firefox64bit.com/ - and silly me, I ignored the fact that this did NOT look like a real Mozilla web page. There was a link there to download the 64-bit version of FF from a mirror. I downloaded, and was told by Windows that I was downloading "firefox-30.0a1.en-US.win64-x86_64.installer.exe." However, when I started the installation process, the browser being installed was called "Nightly," and it also deposited a download manager executable in my downloads folder. A quick scan didn't turn up any alarms, but having had a bad experience with Cyberfox lately, I got rid of the files, and uninstalled Nightly with Revo. The uninstaller that was provided with that browser left a massive amount of traces behind, so thank the gods for Revo!

And... I just did a search for this browser, and it is indeed a Mozilla project, but it is made clear on the official site that this is for testing purposes ONLY. I'm not interested in testing anything.

At any rate, I wound up uninstalling and reinstalling both Java and Firefox, and the issue has resolved itself.

Again, thank you for your responses. :)

Edited by MelissaPleases, 11 March 2014 - 02:32 PM.

Snowden03.png

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~
Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users