Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Windows Easy Transfer but now wheres my files?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny From Kentucky

Johnny From Kentucky

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:17 PM

Greetings and thanks for any help here...

Back story...Last week I bought a new computer running Windows 7 Pro,
Before my new computer arrived I installed Microsofts Easy Transfer program on my old XP computer , ran the program and sucsessfully transfered my files on to a new blank CDRW disc.

Today I fired up the new computer for the first time, ran the Easy Transfer program , pointed to the CDRW disc and the program formated as expected.
when the program was completed and files were apparently transfered and the programs status window closed. and that was it, nothing more.....

I unhid my system files and and searched everywhere with no resolve (sighs..) would one of you fine folks please help me locate my transfered files as the are very important to me.

Thank you again.. I'll check back often

Edited by Johnny From Kentucky, 10 March 2014 - 07:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

In the start menu go to Accessories -> System Tools -> Windows Easy Transfer Reports and open it up.  The Transfer Report will show what has been transferred.  If you click Documents it should show you exactly where it's placed your document files and what they were.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 Johnny From Kentucky

Johnny From Kentucky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

Thanks jonuk76

Well shoot!....Looks like when I used Easy Transfer on my old XP it failed to copy the files to my empty disc.. the disc is empty
seems strange because it showed a status when it appeared to be transferring....Looks like I'll have to go grab that old XP computer and try with a cable.

Question...Is the "Easy Transfer Cable" a special cable OR can I just use a USB/USB cable?

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:03 PM

I've never used an Easy Transfer Cable TBH.  They look like they have some electronics installed in them so I don't think it's just a USB A to A cable.  But I can't say for certain.

There are a few ways you can do transfers:

- With DVD's or CD's -  If you have a lot of data it might take a long time and a large number of DVD's...

- External hard drive

- Through a network

- Using the cable

If you have a router with ethernet ports, you can connect both PC's to it and transfer it across the network.  It's pretty fast especially with Gigabit ethernet.  You can even use wireless, bit slower, but it works.

Edited by jonuk76, 10 March 2014 - 09:07 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Johnny From Kentucky

Johnny From Kentucky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

I am thinking my DVD disc was not big enough and the transfer program halted, therefore not completing transfer.
Thanks jonuk76...I'll give this a try:
router with ethernet ports,

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:54 PM

The easy transfer cable is a special cable, if you directly connect two USBA ports together you will most likely blow up at least one of them.  There are some electronics, normally in the middle of the cable that handle everything.

As jonuk76 said doing over your home network would probably be the best way, if you have a home network.

#7 EwenB

EwenB

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 06:01 AM

I use a"Fission" transfer cable, it is a small unit about 5cm x 2cm with a USB cable at each end.  No installation is neccessary I simply plug one end in computer A and a file browser appears on its monitor.  Plug the other end into computer B and its monitor displays the file browser for both A and B.  From here it is simply a case of "drag 'n drop."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users