Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Old Dell 9200 laptop will not stay on with only the battery

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gwb51

gwb51

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

I have a Dell 9200 laptop. Yes it is rather old, but has served me well. It had been in storage about a year. It works fine if the PSU is connected. It shows the battery is fully charged. The battery test lights show the battery is fully charged. But, the computer will not boot up or stay on with just the battery. 

Sometimes it will start to boot, then just turn off. If I boot up with the PSU and disconnect it, the computer will stay on for about minute, click and turn off. Then it will not even attempt to start if press the power button. If I plug in the PSU, all is well. 

Any thoughts? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:54 AM

Is there a battery calibration tool/utility available from Dell?

#3 dls62

dls62

• Members
  • 623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:34 AM

If that is the original battery that came with the laptop, then it's getting on for 10 years old so I would suspect that it has degraded to the extent that it is no longer serviceable.

That type of battery is normally rated for about 500 charge/discharge cycles and approx. 3 years working life, so you've done very well out of it.

#4 gwb51

gwb51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:22 AM

Actually the battery in question was a replacement battery. But, it was probably 5 years old. Anyway, I put in a new battery and the laptop fired right up. So, it was the battery. What was confusing was the battery self test lights indicated it was fully charged and for the moment or two after I unplugged the AC, before the machine would turn off, the screen icon also showed the battery was fully charged. 

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:54 AM

Older cells might reach full voltage and indicate they are fully charged, but then almost immediatly after putting any drain on them they will significantly drop voltage. I have an ipod touch gen 4 with this exact problem currently. It charges to full, after I unplug it and try to do anything with it the battery reports it is low and should be plugged in, within about 2 minutes it powers off. 5 years out of a battery is pretty good, most have lasted me 2-3 years. One thing people do not know about lithium batteries is that letting them sit for extended periods of time when they are already dead is very bad for the battery. Low voltage is almost as bad as over voltage for L-ions. I let a mac sit for about 6 months and the battery was permanently done. They have a protection circuit built in to prevent both over and under volting, when they go too low they become "locked out" and will never take a charge again. It is suggested when storing a L-ion battery to charge it to around 80% and then disconnect it from the device if possible for any long term storage.

Edited by zingo156, 13 March 2014 - 11:57 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users