Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Internet Won't Connect in Only One Room

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 fourAlli7395

fourAlli7395

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:10 PM

NOTE: I'm not very computer savvy, so if it's not too much trouble, if you have any advice please explain it thoroughly and in layman's terms. 
Here's the situation, my computer won't connect to the internet in my dorm room. It shows the two networks that I usually connect to, and they both show strong connection, but then I try connecting and it says it can't. But if I take my computer to the dorm lobby, or the Student Center, or the Library, or anywhere else on campus that uses the same exact network as I do, my computer connects just fine. My room is the only place it won't connect! And my computer is the only thing that can't connect in my room. My iPod has no problem connecting, and my roommate's computer has no problem connecting either. 

I've tried disconnecting my iPod and my roommate's computer from the internet and turned both completely off so I could see if they somehow disrupt my computer's ability to connect when they're connected, but I had no luck. I've tried restarting, I've tried the options that Network Troubleshooting provide and nothing works. I've also asked around and no one, on my floor or on other floors that I have talked to, has had any problem like this. 
This issue has happened once before, around the end of January/beginning of February. It lasted for a couple of weeks and then, somehow, my computer randomly connected to the internet and had no problems with connection, until now. The lack of connection ability started about five days ago, and just like the last time, I can connect everywhere else except my room. Last night it randomly connected, but the connection kept going in and out. When it did connect it only lasted a few minutes, then it would disconnect, and when I would attempt to connect again it would tell me it was unable to connect even though it was connected just seconds before! 
Any ideas what the problem could be?
I had an issue with malware not too long ago. I can't remember all the malware that had been screwing with my computer, but I do remember PC Fix was the most severe issue. I managed to get rid of it all. I doubt malware can mess with your ability to connect to the internet in only one specific area, but could my previous malware troubles have any influence my connection abilility at all? 
PLEASE HELP!!! 
And thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

If the malware was not fully cleaned it could affect your ability to connect but I've never heard of anything stopping it in only 1 spot. That is very strange.

A little information: Assuming wireless but just checking lol? If wireless, does it work plugged in? What Windows version? What error does it give you in your dorm? Is it in 1 spot or anywhere in your dorm room? How about the common area, not down in the lobby? Anywhere else on your floor? 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 fourAlli7395

fourAlli7395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

CaveDweller2: 

You guessed it! It's wireless. Haha. 

If I understand what you mean by "plugged in": The connection I use is through the university, so I don't have a way of plugging it in because it's a campus-wide connection.

Windows version is Windows 8.

I can get connection is the common area as well as every other place in the dorm and every other place on campus. Literally, the only place that my computer can't connect is my room. I've tried moving it around throughout the room, but the whole place is a dead zone. 

What's confusing is that I know that my computer has the ability to connect in my room. It has just goes through periods of time when it decides to be a brat and not connect for days/weeks and I have no idea of how to fix it.

Last night, I have no idea how or why, but it eventually stopped disconnecting and is now working just fine. Unfortunately, I know it won't last.

I've heard flushing DNS cache may help. Do you know if that's true? Or everything that is deleted if one chooses to flush their DNS cache?

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:33 PM

So you don't have ethernet in your rooms? weird but understandable. 

That is a really weird issue. Does it give you an error or just a general NOPE? 

You can try flushing the DNS - In Win 8 - click down to the Apps look for CMD, right click it, click Run as Admin, click Yes to the annoying pop up and type ipconfig /flushdns and Enter.

But I don't think it'll help. Seriously I am baffled as to why your dorm would be a sudden dead zone. 

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 fourAlli7395

fourAlli7395
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

It's just a general "nope". 

#6 chrisd87

chrisd87

• Members
  • 811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:21 AM

You could try removing the wireless profile that you use to connect with and reassigning one. It may/may not help since you have connection everywhere else.

See this link below on the how to:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/manage-wireless-network-profiles

"Like car accidents, most hardware problems are due to driver ɹoɹɹǝ."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users