Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows could not search for new updates

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tlssio

tlssio

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:43 PM

when i try to update my computer I get the message windows could not search for new updates error code 80070490. I have tried all the repair methods on microsoft web page including renaming folders in system32 and running fixit. nothing seems to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Hi tlssio,

You stated that you had tried all the repair methods on the Microsoft web page. Could you please provide the link to the page that you accessed so we are not repeating what you have tried?

I'm sure that somewhere along the way that you read that the error code 80070490 was an indication of the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest being corrupted. If a system file checker does not correct the corruption, the best thing to do is perform a repair install.

Following are the instructions to perform a system file check:

SFC Scan
  • Click on the Start Start%20Orb.jpg button and in the search box, type cmd.exe
  • When you see cmd in the list, right-click on it and select Run as administrator
  • When command prompt opens, please type or copy/paste the following command into it, then press Enter

sfc /scannow

Please note the space between sfc / in the command above. <--Very Important

Wait for this to finish before you continue.

Once the scan completes, type or copy/paste the following into notepad

@echo off
    ndstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
    del %0
  • Click on File > Save As... and type sfc.bat then click Save
  • Double click on the batch file
  • This will create the file, sfcdetail.txt on your Desktop and the .bat file icon will self delete. Please attach this to your next post.
  • Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions or concerns.

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#3 tlssio

tlssio
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:21 PM

Attached File  CheckSUR.log   1.33KB   4 downloads I tried clearing the cbs directory plus others per instruction on Microsoft's web page one but not all of the addresses I visited was http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509997. I also did kb947821 I tried to do a repair install but I keep getting a message that the system on the machine is newer than the one on the disk and the upgrade option is grayed out. I hope the log file is what you want I did a different way. also it might be helpful to know I am running IE 8 Beta

Edited by tlssio, 12 March 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#4 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:29 AM

Hi tlssio,

Thank you for the CheckSur.log. Allow me a bit of time to research those errors.

I tried to do a repair install but I keep getting a message that the system on the machine is newer than the one on the disk

Which service pack is installed on your system? If Service Pack 2 (SP2) you will need a media disc that includes SP2.

Do try the instructions in my last post to preform a System File checker and provide the log that is generated for my viewing pleasure.

Donna :)

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users