Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless USB Adapter not recognized - worked fine before

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kathpt

kathpt

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:54 PM

Hello everyone :)

A few months ago (October if I'm not mistaken) I bought a wireless USB adapter to use on my desktop computer (our backup computer) since we got a router and that computer does not have a wireless card. I installed it, it worked fine on that computer and I could use the internet without any glitches, up until the middle of January. I went to turn it on to update windows (runs Windows XP) and the computer does not recognize the pen drive (doesn't show up on My Computer, the light doesn't even turn on). I thought it had just died but my personal laptop recognizes it and there's nothing wrong with the desktop usb ports because everything I plug into ANY port works perfectly.
I uninstalled the adapter software and installed it again. And again. Nothing. I tried it with a USB cable, still nothing. Restored the system, also nothing. Is there anything that can fix this problem or should I just buy another one? What if it happens again?

The wireless usb adapter is TP-Link TL-WN727N 150Mbps, I'm running Windows XP.

Note: said computer will be used to teach my father how to browse the internet, he's clueless about it. I was out of the country for two weeks and he told me he turned the computer on and it didn't have internet, I have no idea what he did, or if he even did something to try to turn it on.

Thank you in advance :)

Edited by kathpt, 10 March 2014 - 03:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:12 PM

I assume you have tried the adapter in the other USB ports.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager under Network adapters?

If there aren't any, download USBDbview and run it in an admin account. Then look for all instances or your adapter. Right click and select Uninstall. Do this with the adapter detached. Reboot, then plug the adapter in and see XP recognizes it. You may have to reinstall the adapter driver.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

#3 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:35 PM

my usb network adapter was acting weird for the longest time. i had to use the ipconfig and netsh commands to reset /release/renew. then i found out that if i have a lan cable plugged into the access point, it won't work. but the best bet would be to clean uninstall it and reinstall. it was working before, but got corrupted somehow maybe?

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#4 kathpt

kathpt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 04:49 PM

I assume you have tried the adapter in the other USB ports.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks in Device Manager under Network adapters?

If there aren't any, download USBDbview and run it in an admin account. Then look for all instances or your adapter. Right click and select Uninstall. Do this with the adapter detached. Reboot, then plug the adapter in and see XP recognizes it. You may have to reinstall the adapter driver.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Thank you so much! This worked perfectly. Typing this reply from the good 'ol tower.

ps: And yes I did try all the ports, all 7 of them!

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 11 March 2014 - 06:13 PM

Your welcome, and thank you for the update on this issue. Glad it worked for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users