Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about chkdsk

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 herbman

herbman

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

Hello everyone , my question is i ran a chkdsk and usually it says chkdsk found no problems with the file system but this time it said chkdsk found free space marked as allocated , is this something to be concerned about?

I am running win 7 sp1 64 bit

Thanks

Edited by herbman, 10 March 2014 - 02:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

Hello -

Always re-run a disk check or a sfc /scannow scan if it returns any errors.

Did you run /r option or /f option for the scan ??

#3 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thank you for your response,  i usually do the f fix option because in the vast majority of cases that fixes it .  I usually do repeat and rerun chkdsk because on the second try on many occasions it shows no problems but not always .

I run chkdsk and sfc/scannow on a regular basis in safe mode and i can't recall the last time anything showed during the sfc/scannow scan but sometimes i still get the chkdsk error ,  sometimes it says there's a problem with the bitmap image and sometimes it says  the scan found free space marked as allocated .

Quite annoying ,   i do know that the system health report shows that it cannot tell if a AV product is installed although there always is one  ,  i have re installed Kaspersky but it doesn't correct that issue .  Don't know if it's related to the chkdsk problem

Thank you very much for the assistance 

Edited by herbman, 10 March 2014 - 05:56 PM.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 06:44 PM

I run chkdsk and sfc/scannow on a regular basis in safe mode

Try them both in Normal mode where ever you can.

I only run /r version ............. My script reads -

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows 7:
• Click Start and open Computer
• Right-click on C: (or your hard drive letter) and select Properties
• Click on the Tools tab
• Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button

NOTE : Mine is the same as /r version (where Automatically fix file system errors alone is /f )

• Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors
• Click on the Start button
• When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer
• Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This will take (on average) 1 to 2 hours depending on your system, so please let it finish.
DO NOT force a reboot once started a you will lose data and may damage the computer
NOTE - If this is a Laptop please plug it into a reliable power source, as batteries may fail.
The computer will reboot to normal mode once it has completed all 5 stages -

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:44 AM

The Windows Security Center does not necessarily recognize all installed AVs...as long as you have one installed/updated/working, I suggest you ignore such messages about your installed AV.

Free space (by definition) is allocated...it's part of the partition.  Unallocated space is hard drive space which is not part of any partition...it is NOT the same as free space.

Louis

#6 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Thank you hamluis,   little confused about the last part though, what does that mean in simple terms ,  anything to be concerned with?

Thanks again

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

Noooooo.

Louis

#8 herbman

herbman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

I would like to thank Noknojon and hamluis for their help,   it's very much appreciated.

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

You are welcome ; From the team at BleepingComputers.

Please post back if you think we can help with other (computer) problems .........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users