Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I suspect a virus is attacking my Wifi Adapter.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WolfAmongUs

WolfAmongUs

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

The problem that i'm having is that my laptop connects to my wifi network, but only for about 3-5 minutes. It then disconnects from the network, then the adapter (?) completely disables itself (like a computer with a red X appears at the bottom right where the wifi signal strength usually is). Then, it connects to the same wifi by itself, and then repeats the same issues.

I don't think it's my internet or router because I can connect to the same wifi network on my iPhone just fine. I suspect that it may be a virus of some sort, but I have Norton and have ran full scans with no results of anything malicious. I've also ran adwcleaner, as well as Malwarebytes Anti-Malware with no results. The reason I think it might be a virus, is because once in a while I get an error message saying "There was a problem starting C:\Program files (x86)\Conduit\CT3279412\plugins\TBVerifier.dll" yet I don't see any sign of the Conduit virus in my program files.

This has been going on for about a month. I don't know what else to do, so If someone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it!

PS: I'm on Windows 8 on a Dell laptop.

Edited by WolfAmongUs, 10 March 2014 - 11:52 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:26 PM

To me it sounds more like a hardware problem. Is there a wireless on off switch on the computer? Try turning it on and off a few times. Try to install the newest driver for the wifi adapter. In device manager, does the wireless card disappear when the red x appears in your start menu bar? To get to device manager, in your start menu where it says search programs and files type: device manager and hit enter. Now click the little arrow next to network adapters. Find your wireless adapter in that list and see if it disappears. If it is physically disappearing from that list I suspect you have a hardware problem.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 WolfAmongUs

WolfAmongUs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

To me it sounds more like a hardware problem. Is there a wireless on off switch on the computer? Try turning it on and off a few times. Try to install the newest driver for the wifi adapter. In device manager, does the wireless card disappear when the red x appears in your start menu bar? To get to device manager, in your start menu where it says search programs and files type: device manager and hit enter. Now click the little arrow next to network adapters. Find your wireless adapter in that list and see if it disappears. If it is physically disappearing from that list I suspect you have a hardware problem.

I don't think there is a wirless on and off switch. Would it be like a physical switch? Because if it's a physical wireless on and off switch, there is none on my laptop. As far as updating to the newest driver, I tried to update the network driver (don't know if that's what i need to update) but when i tried to do it, it would make be update my bluetooth software, then i would get an error message saying to "Activate Bluetooth using Wireless Switch" and i don't know what that means. Also, the update pakage i'm trying to update the network driver with is "Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) v12.0.0.7850 (A04) October 24, 2013" don't know if that's the right one. My wireless card does not dissapear when the red x appears.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:26 PM

This is the correct device for wireless: Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) v12.0.0.7850 (A04) October 24, 2013

Sometimes the switch is on the keyboard, it may use the FN key + one of the F1-F12 keys, or just one of the F1-F12 keys. If you click on the wireless icon in the start menu when it has a red x, what does it say? Just click on it one time with the left mouse button.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 WolfAmongUs

WolfAmongUs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:51 PM

This is the correct device for wireless: Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) v12.0.0.7850 (A04) October 24, 2013

Sometimes the switch is on the keyboard, it may use the FN key + one of the F1-F12 keys, or just one of the F1-F12 keys. If you click on the wireless icon in the start menu when it has a red x, what does it say? Just click on it one time with the left mouse button.

Ok I found the switch and turned it on and off a couple of times. When I turn it on, it connects to my wifi, but then the connection says limited with a yellow exclamation at the bottom right. The red X hasn't showed up again, but i'm sure it will. This is pretty much what happens. It connects to my wifi all good and works for like 5-6 minutes, then the connection goes "limited", it disconnects me from my wifi, then the red X appears. After about a good 4-5 minutes it connects me to the same wifi automaticaly, then repeats the same things i mentioned above. The update you mentioned is the one i downloaded, but when I start it, it makes me go through a Bluetooth Software update, then I get the message i mentioned in the above post "Activate Bluetooth using Wireless Switch."

Edited by WolfAmongUs, 10 March 2014 - 02:55 PM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 07:42 AM

I had a lot of problems with drivers and the 1704 wireless adapter in windows. I would suggest trying it in safe mode if the problems continue to help rule out software. Or you could try it in linux, something like mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Edited by zingo156, 11 March 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#7 Jerzxlove

Jerzxlove

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2014 - 05:23 PM

HELL YEA YOU ARE INFECTED WITH THE CONDUIT VIrus. Only way to rid of it is to wipe ur computer and make sure u have files backed up and a copy of ur windows product key under system into in control panel. Conduit started becoming other files on my pc and i ha to wipe it is even o my iphone i am using to type this message right now with it gives me pop ups on a basic google page with a search to foolish products. I have to back up my phone and wipe it too and get a new modem. Conduit is a company in israel made to make very very aggressive ad and malware. Be afraid be very afraid.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users