Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to reset Dell Vostro laptop to factory

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tierra93

Tierra93

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:24 AM

I have an old Dell Vostro laptop and I think it may work if reformated.  It has no disks and I belive Dell has a function to reset to when it came from the factory.  Could someone please tell me how?

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:28 AM

What operating system do you have and what is the exact model? Usually to do a factory reset after powering on the machine you would start tapping F8, this will take you to a boot options menu, select the repair option and let it load. This should take you to a screen with several options. With dell, usually the bottom option will be dell factory restore (or something similar to this), use your arrow keys or mouse to select the dell restore options and follow the instructions. In some cases dell will offer the option to backup your data before restoring (if you do not want the data select no).

Make sure you do backup your data first before doing the factory reset. I do not trust any factory backup procedure, I always backup my data and verify it before formatting etc.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:44 AM

The OS is vista I think home basic. Notebook computer Vostro A860 model PP37L.  Is that all you need?

I can't actually back up the data (it won't run in regular mode - haven't tried safe mode as not sure how to get into safe mode on Dell laptop) and the data is years old - nothing of importance - all passwords, etc, have been changed many times and didn't keep much on it anyway - only for backup.  However, it's all old and it was a back up computer (that is why so few files kept on it).  I always keep my files on my main computer backed up.  Anyway, nothing of import and anything on it is so old it probably doesn't matter and I've changed the programs and malware programs I use.

I thought it may be the processor going on it but now suspect may have been the anti-malware I was using in the past - specifically the firewall (comodo) - it caused something simular in another old laptop, and can't be removed without causing problems so wish to try to reformat and see if that does the trick before sending it off to be recycled.

Thank you.

Edited by Tierra93, 10 March 2014 - 08:55 AM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

The above post should be the same for this machine, to boot to safe mode use the above F8 tapping procedure after turning on the computer but instead of booting to "repair" boot to safe mode. Use your arrow keys to highlight the correct option in the boot options menu. As long as the hardware is ok, it should restore to factory settings.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Tierra93

Tierra93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 167 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:16 AM

Thank you.  Seems the problem was hardware - wouldn't even turn on and no lights when plugged-in.

#6 debg68

debg68

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 10:50 PM

Did you end up reverting back to factory settings? I reverted my dell inspiron running vista yesterday. It was simple...but what a pain getting everything updated thru windows update, new IE, updated adobe reader, redownloading my favorites etc.  Glad I did it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users