Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is chkdsk /R the right command to use to fix any fixable problems to be fixed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 James T Kirk

James T Kirk

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 01:46 AM

hello people,

welcome to this thread.

i am having some kind of problems with my computer when i perform some operations, and i'm trying to figure out how to fix it.
i've encountered a disk is locked, do you wish to force a dismount? i cannot access the drive unless i force a dismount, and then it says that ALL HANDLES WILL BE LOST or something like that, which makes it sound importaint or something.
"the volume is in use by another process. chkdsk may run this volume if dismounted first. ALL OPENED HANDLES TO THIS VOLUME WOULD THEN BE INVALID. would you like to force a dismount?"

and then a "WARNING! F parameter not specified." another time.

another time: i was also getting the error: delayed write error. failed to write files. then after the first attempt, where the drive showed up, now, even when the program was closed and then opened again, would not even show up on the list.

another time: "some files or folders can not be accessed when enumerating a directory. you could open the installation directory of the program, then open a "log" folder to find out which files can not be accessed, and then manually cut and paste to other partitions." 

and "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable."

does anybody know if there is anyway to fix it or if i used the right command in the dos prompt, with chkdsk /R
[which is used to not only scan for, but to fix any read error problems (if they can be fixed, they will be fixed with this process)]

thank you,

sincerely,

STUCK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:44 AM

Fairly simple -

Read this site => Running Chkdsk to Repair File Systems

Go down to Running Chkdsk on a volume other than the boot volume.

#3 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 03:17 AM

thanks a lot noknojon, bro :dance:

when i tried the check disk command, i first tried chkdsk /r /f, and it returned an ERROR so i thought that i was doing it wrong; but i guess /r & /f are just about the same thing so they kind of cancel eachother out, as far as operation procedure!

and then when i tried to get the “help” list, i knew that if i pressed the help or ?, that i would get a list of commands, but what i was trying to figure out, and couldn’t was HOW to list “all” of the parameters for a specific command, such as chkdsk, as in this case. thanks a lot bro -- i never knew you could do that. all i thought that you could do was the ? list. however, someone, i could have sworn that i had seen a “parameters” list, but in no way did i think that i could get there.

AND I THOUGHT THAT I KNEW DOS....

but by the way, since i have an expert on the line, do you happen to know how to “intellectually fence off bad sectors”?
if the /f doesn’t work, or if i run into this situation in the future....

currently, without the /f test, i have 4 kb of bad sectors on my 20 gig partition.

:busy: White Hat

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:45 PM

Note the MAIN 2 alterations between /r and /f when run with the Manual Mode and not DOS method

Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
•Click Start and open My Computer
•Right-click on C: (or your hard drive letter) and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button

NOW - For /r you Checkmark both boxes, but for /f you only Checkmark the first box (already checked)

•Mark the 2 boxes next to Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

•Click on the Start button
•When the message box pops up, click the Schedule disk check button and Restart your computer
•Once your computer restarts it will check the drive, don't press any keys so that it is allowed to do so
This will take (on average) 1 to 2 hours depending on your system, so please let it finish.
DO NOT force a reboot once started a you will lose data and may damage the computer
NOTE - If this is a Laptop please plug it into a reliable power source, as batteries may fail.
The computer will reboot to normal mode once it has completed all => 5 stages -

NOTE - 5 stages in /r and 3 stages in /f

#5 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:10 PM

:dance: Howdy noknojon,

"Note the MAIN 2 alterations between /r and /f when run with the Manual Mode and not DOS method"
correct me if i'm wrong, but opening dos, via the "dos prompt" while IN windows, is dos, right? or does it ONLY count if you can get to it from a fresh boot when win is not running (which you only USED to be able to do, but where you can't any longer unless you can figure out "how" to install a separate dos program outside of the one built into win -- which i haven't been able to do (note it counts as 2 os's at this point); and which a simple floppy startup diskete was needed for and could allow (which they discontinued (it was also win version specific as well))?

when you say "Manual Mode", this is different than dos prompt?
what is this? --
enlighten me, because, i fear, i am not as smart as you on this subject.

"Run a Disk Check on your C: drive in Windows XP:
•Click Start and open My Computer
•Right-click on C: (or your hard drive letter) and select Properties
•Click on the Tools tab
•Under Error-checking click the Check Now... button"

[so this is "Manual Mode"]?

oh, so that's the difference between /r and /f -- that /f is only half as good, great to know.
you sure know about this stuff.
oh, and by the way, one of the boxes was not automatically check marked.

wow, noknojon, this is great.
if it takes up to 2 hours than that means that "Manual Mode" is better than the DOS method?

GOD IS MY SHEILD

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:33 AM

when you say "Manual Mode", this is different than dos prompt?

By DOS Prompt I mean if you type into Run Box or Command Prompt box.

oh, and by the way, one of the boxes was not automatically check marked.

Normally 1 box is ticked, but any playing / resetting may "upset the norm"

Note : As written I say to allow for 1 to 2 hours.

As we do not kow the computer size / the free space / installed programs / etc / etc .............

#7 James T Kirk

James T Kirk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:56 AM

:welcome: hello noknojon,

thanks dude!

by the way, is the "Manual Mode" better than the DOS method?

someone was talking about hd utilities through the company that could help with this, but i thought that was odd, as i have never heard of this.
do you know anything about this, or does such a thing even exist!

GOD IS MY SHEILD

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users