Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ubuntu live not working, possibly caused by SLI.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

I have two versions of Linux Live Ubuntu. One always worked, the newer one just would not accept the router password for some reason.
Anyhow, now both versions are broke, and won't load. I get a quick purple screen, followed by quick scrolling text on black background (this part is normal so far) then much smaller text that begins with numbers. The text says all kinds of crazy stuff, as if it is a record of the files and procedures during the boot process. The last thing it says is mentioning USB devices, my mouse and my keyboard, and that's it, every minute or so it will repeat the tail end of all the text.
The only new hardware I have added to my computer is a second Nvidia GTX 660 card, I have them in SLI. Is it possible this is the problem? Like, maybe it can't figure out which graphics card to run the driver for? I didn't see anywhere in there the words “fail” referring to GPU, Graphics, Nvidia, HDMI, or PCI-E.
I have to confess I am not really Linux savvy, I only use the live Ubuntu to do my shopping and banking on (since I don't trust all the stuff I have on windows to not be logging and spying on me).

Oh and I am running both Linux Live Ubuntu's from a USB 2.0 flash drive and a 3.0 flash drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:27 AM

If Linux worked before you added the new card try taking it out and booting.

Oh and I am running both Linux Live Ubuntu's from a USB 2.0 flash drive and a 3.0 flash drive

Its on USB any chance it got corrupted?

Try booting from dvd.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:41 PM

It's two different Linux Ubuntu's on a different USB drive each.

I have made a Knopix flash drive (a third flashdrive), and will give that a try.

I will then try running ubuntu from a DVD, and then lastly removing the second graphics card and seeing if either Ubuntu runs like it did, and then posting the results.

Hopefully I can find a Live distro that works with two graphics cards.

I was hoping this was a common issue with a simple work-around/fix.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,916 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:28 AM

How do I set up a Linux-PC with multiple graphics cards?

Try this. Hope it helps.

Remove 1 card and try.

https://cornerstone.multitouch.fi/cornerstone-documentation/multiple-graphics-cards

Edited by NickAu1, 12 March 2014 - 04:40 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#5 RB_Kandy

RB_Kandy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:35 AM

OK, I don't have any dvd's, so I couldn't do that experiment. However I downloaded Knoppix to flash drive. It too did not boot, and gives me the same boot diagnostic screen as ubuntu. I downloaded Puppy, it booted, and got to a nice desktop, but it refused to connect to the Internet.

Tried Fedora, it would not boot, gives me the same boot diagnostic screen. Tried Mint, it would boot, but tell me that there is no 3d hardware (or maybe it was no driver) detected, and showed a half sized screen. But at least it would connect to the Internet, and the graphics, in spite of that 3D error, functioned.

I removed my second graphics card. Ubuntu works as good as new, and Fedora works too (though it won't connect to my network).

So it looks like I am stuck trying to find a Distro that will work with my two graphics cards, and connect to my network. Like I said, Mint will do that, but give an error about the graphics (but at least I can web browse with it).

I am going to make a separate post about all the router issues. At least I have settled that it is indeed running two Nvidia 660's that has caused Ubuntu to not run.

I'm a complete Linux noob by the way. And I have to admit, I kinda like Puppy.

Linux is like Ice cream, lots of yummy flavors. But Ubuntu was my first, and the one I am familiar with.. Anyhow, one day if I can figure out how to get Ubunto to boot with two graphics cards (regardless of whether or not it actually runs in SLI) I will be sure to post an update.

#6 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:44 AM

Maybe this article will help to explain your NVIDIA grahpics issues with Ubuntu. It's fairly recent.

http://xtrabuntu.blogspot.com/2011/02/overview-of-graphic-card-manufacturers.html

Although I much prefer NVIDIA over AMD, especially on Windows OS's, AMD graphics are better & there are regular releases of drivers, as noted in that article above. Linus Torvalds has had more than one confrontation with NVIDIA officials about lack of support on Linux OS's, although there has been improvement, it's slow.

I ended up buying an AMD card by MSI myself (R7770 GHz edition), rather than a GeForce GTX 660, because I plan on installing Linux Mint 17 on my Dell (specs in sig below) when the RC is released, hopefully next month. Because on my MSI notebook with NVIDIA discrete graphics, I've had issues with video quality with any Linux OS I've ran on it. Google Earth runs crappy on what was when released, a fast upper middle end card in the GT 425M. Unlike a desktop, I cannot disable the discrete GPU in the BIOS.

Oddly, on Windows 7 Pro SP1, on that same notebook, was earning 5,000 PPD running the folding@home app from GPU folding alone. Tried it on Mint 13, the change was horrendous.

For now, AMD & Intel graphics works best on the Linux platform, hopefully that will change as time goes by. Linux growth has been great in the last year, hopefully more hardware vendors will show better support for the obvious in-demand OS.

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,916 posts
  •  

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:55 AM

I downloaded Puppy, it booted, and got to a nice desktop, but it refused to connect to the Internet.

How do you nornaly connect?  WiFi?

Go to Menu/ Setup/Internet Connection Wizard

A box will pop up.

Select the wired or wireless lan button.

Select the top button Called SNS

A box will pop up near the bottom you will see

eth0 thats your hard wired connection.

Under that if you have wifi there should be a wlan0 button. Click it, It will look for WiFi networks.

A box will pop up with all avail WiFi connections.

Select yours enter the Password and remember to click the wpa box its the last option and hit connect. You should be on line now.

This is a short video I made. It shows the steps above.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=w9fivp&s=5#.UzVLhJjB6Cs

Edited by NickAu1, 28 March 2014 - 02:15 AM.

Arch Linux .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users