Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Finally got a job, First build.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

Honestly, It's been well over a year since I've kept up with the technologies.
Now I'm not sure about anything.
Are the APU's still decent? 
I'd like to spend 4-500. I wanna spend as little as possible though.
Looking around on Newegg now, I'm definitely out of it. 3 Years ago I could look at parts and put together a 450 $ rig (Not physically, just in the shopping cart haha. I'm broke.) Now I can't pick 3 parts without being close to 400.

I want to be able to play Skyrim and Minecraft. I don't necessarily have those games, that's just my minimum requirement for a GPU.

I want a CPU that'll still work in 5 years. (My laptop is a daul-core at 2.2 GHz. Very fast in its first year. 3 Years now it drags it's feet.)

Will an APU perform well enough to play skyrim on high settings? I don't want spend more than 225 of my budget on a gpu and cpu.

I don't want to spend more than 80 on RAM.
Heres what I've compiled myself thus far.

CPU: AMD FX-6300  (First thing i picked. it looked pretty. but kinda expensive for my broke self.)  120$

Memory: Kingston KVR13N9S8H (2 of these for 8 Gigs) 78$.  39$ each

GPU: Radeon R7 290X Toms Hardware mentioned it as a good budget GPU for this year  130$

MOBO: ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 90$

I'm nearing 420 bucks and theres still a bunch of crap I need. Any better decisions you guys would make? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:04 PM

Hi, it is unrealistic to have a CPU that will run well for 5 years especially with the budget you have and it also poses the issue with budget as you will not be able to fit in the peripherals like the monitor. My suggestion would be to keep saving up till maybe around $1000 which would allow you to get some decent peripherals and a decent gaming system.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

If I stretch my budget to 600-650, would I manage to have a low end gaming rig capable of playing minecraft then? haha. My laptop can just about play it on medium-low settings just fine. also, I'm sure I'd be fine with a cheaper monitor, and I have speakers, a mouse, and a keyboard. thats what im using right now. 
I'll do more searching, find a some stuff within the 600 range. It's my FIRST build so I don't think I should bother trying to make a heavy gaming rig just yet, i barely even game XD I just like to be able to when i find a game i might want to play.

will any ram that is compatible with a mobo work, or should i choose from the manufacturers list of memory that actually works?

#4 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:49 AM

With the current list that was posted, it can certainly play Minecraft with ease and a maximum budget of $650 is little bit better and in theory the ram should be compatible although if you want to be on the safe side, then go by the manufacturer list.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 - $120 

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 LE 2.0 - $90

Ram: Kingston HyperX XMP Blu Red Series 8GB (2x 4GB) - $65

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB - $55

Graphics card: XFX R7-260X - $130

Power Supply: Corsair CX600 - $70

Case: NZXT Source 210 - $40

Monitor: HP Pavilion 20xi - $105

Total: $675 does not include shipping, taxes or other costs.

The only item that is missing from that list is the operating system which is going to cost you around an extra $100 unless you choose to use a free operating system like Linux. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#5 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

I forgot to mention that I salvaged a 500 gig hard drive and a disc drive from my grandmothers recently defunct computer, both in perfect working condition.
I dont know if im going to use the hard drive to cut that cost out of the picture, or if I'm going to have it as an extra drive.
I'll decide that later on.
Thanks for the advice!

I'll save that setup and keep looking on newegg to see if I could make the price any lower without sacrifices haha.
Thanks!

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:43 PM

I've found that if you're looking for an inexpensive machine purchasing will normally get you more machine than building, especially if you have to purchase an operating system.  You might look at the refurbished machines that New Egg carries and see how much of a machine you can get for $500.

If you really want to build, that is your decision, I only mention this as a possible option.

#7 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:51 PM

the components that need to be fresh and new are the psu, gpu, cpu and mobo/ram.

new psus can go between 60-150 USD  depending on the strength.

new and decent gpus can be had around 100 usd, like the hd7770

amd fx series cpu are around 150 USD for the nice ones. intel i5 are around 200 USD, i think the lower end fx/phenom cpu are around 100.

mobo + 4gb ram is around $100 new

if you can wait for the 100 USD for the win8.1, LINUX is getting resounding reviews and can be had on the cheap.

monitors and case/fans and optical drives can be had second hand, not the best, but at least the core components will be fresh and ready as well as transferrable later on. i think all 3 pre-owned elements can be acquired for around $100.

so the grand cheapie price of 460 for something that can play some games at 50fps while looking decent. add on another 40 for a decent 500gb western digital hdd, and there it is.

i put together the rig in my sig for around $300. it can get started in the fps world, even though it isn't the greatest. it all went into an ultra x-blaster $20 case with 120mm fans all over it.

Edited by synergy513, 10 March 2014 - 08:21 PM.

Moore's Law : 4d Graph in Progress

#8 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Killer's build is pretty good, there are a few things you should be aware of.

The FX-6300 is a good gaming CPU, if you can afford it, the FX-8320 would be a step up.  The Radeon 260X is also fairly low-end and is below the Radeon 7850 in terms of power.  If you can afford a Radeon 7800 series or GTX 660 or above graphics card, you should go for it as games are more GPU-bound than CPU.

You need to factor in the cost of Windows at $100.  Linux can be an interesting experience, I used Debian and I found it easier than Ubuntu, but unless you've worked with Linux in the past and don't mind going through a command line to get some things done and work to get games meant for Windows to run, you may want to just stay with Windows.  That's not to say Linux is bad, just know what you're getting into before fully committing to it.

Edited by DJBPace07, 11 March 2014 - 08:37 AM.

3939.png

#9 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:23 PM

I see alot of scary negative reviews that tend to throw me off of choosing an item, and thats with most items, Memory, Mobo's, Hard Drives, GPUs, and even once a CPU was reported to have broken pins. How much of those reviews tend to be due to the users own fault, and how much is actually the fault of the product? if you guys know that, of course

#10 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:30 PM

How much of those reviews tend to be due to the users own fault, and how much is actually the fault of the product? if you guys know that, of course

A lot of the negative reviews are just a small minority who had issues with the product and as you mention, it could users fault or a DOA but you should take the reviews as a grain of salt.  

>Michael 

#11 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:06 PM

generally, for every one negative article, there are dozens of positive results that no one hears about. quite often,  a user that is successful is probably very happy with the results and doesn't bother notifying a review column. 

usually, if i read a consistent negative review from many users, that is the first step to legitimacy, the second step is if the details are there and covered, it may be legitimate.

performance enthusiasts are generally very opinionated one way or the other, and that is where the line gets drawn. opinion doesn't hold water, and statements aren't facts if the details are missing.

a cpu with broken pins...hmmmm. if that is all the detail there is then i wouldn't buy it. chances are a user mishandled the cpu  or didn't bother reading the manual and just tried to stick it in the socket haphazardly and bent the pins.   i see that here at BC sometimes, an enthusiastic user goes for it with a system build, then doesn't bother reading the motherboard manual, and wonders why the system won't boot up. hhmmmm

but anyway, feel free to ask about any components you have a question about, there are a few of us that have been there and done that. any errors that one user makes and can contribute so another user won't duplicate the error, then the pc world is all good.

#12 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:03 PM

So generally unless the majority of reviews are bad, i shouldnt worry?

Sometimes I see a row of bad reviews from the same or similar dates, but that was on a hard drive

#13 synergy513

synergy513

• BC Advisor
  • 1,018 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:23 PM

if the details are consistent, there is room for investigation. i see users recommending hard drives over another, but that is a varied result. myself, i have noticed users consistently recommending the intel and samsung solid state drives,

i have four different brands of hard drives myself, and i can honestly say, i wouldn't recommend a seagate. way too many smart (self test) errors either on my system, or i see them on other users systems.  my maxtor XP OS boot drive always runs warm (over 50c) while my hitachi is running at a stable 38c and is positioned right next to it. but then it is easy to see that they all probably roll off the same assembly line at some place in china but the seagates are consistently indicating trouble. my win7 PC has one western digital in it, no trouble there at any time.

#14 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,696 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 07:58 PM

and even once a CPU was reported to have broken pins.

I bet the guy who was installing it broke the pins, I guess something like that may slip thru quality control at the factory but those cases would be few and far between. Quite often people mess it up then when the company says sorry its your fault not ours you broke it, They go to a forum and give a biased version of events saying how bad something is.

I remember an episode of Top Gear where Jeremy Clarkson got a brand new Ford GT40, And it wouldnt start.

See story. It happens.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f66_1197922429

Or Windows os. Its not Windows fault the OS gets infected by stuff in most cases its a POC fault.

Person operating computer. Yet those same people will complain Windows is not secure.

I do not know of ANY os that is secure when the owner downloads and installs the Malware. Thru insecure browsing habits P2P etc.

Edited by NickAu1, 12 March 2014 - 08:15 PM.

#15 Jayson201

Jayson201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

I tend to trust most CPUs regardless of reviews, I guess my reasoning is stupid or lacking but I just believe that is the one product they focus all of their quality control on

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users