Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVD Drive: HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4482B

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Junkfood

Junkfood

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

I have a Gateway E-4100 system running Windows XP Pro.  I know it's a ten year old system and probably should be tossed out, but it still runs and I can't afford a whole new system.  I believe I have a generic CD/DVD drive installed in my system; the CD drive works OK but the DVD function of the drive does not work.  I cannot watch movies or reteieve data in DVD format.  Is there a driver I need to install or some other software?

Processor

Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Version:

x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9

Speed:

2793 MHz

Specifications

Gateway

System Model:

E-4100 2900141

BIOS Version:

Intel Corp. BF86510A.15A.0045.P08.0309261344

Operating System

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Version:

Service Pack:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:02 PM

No driver is required.  It's built into Windows XP.  You could try the DVD troubleshooter, but if the drive can't physically read any DVD data disk then I wouldn't expect it to help.  DVD video disks have more potential things that can go wrong, including regional lockout and codec problems.

You could try using a lens cleaner.  Disks are available that have brushes attached to clear dirt from the lens.  DVD uses a different wavelength laser to CD, so it's quite possible to have one media type work and not the other.

Failing that a new DVD burner should not be expensive.  All current drives are SATA so for a direct replacement you will need to look for used/old stock IDE DVD-RW drives.  The make and model is not particularly important as long as it works.  Ebay will have a large number available - http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dvd-rw-ide?_trksid=p2045573.m2388.  You will probably be able to pick up a working drive for a few dollars.

EDIT apparently the motherboard has 2 SATA ports available so you can just use a SATA DVD-RW drive if needed.  These are freely available and cheap (~$20).  You would need a SATA data cable and probably a SATA-Molex convertor for the PSU - given the age of the machine it's unlikely to have SATA power connectors on the PSU.

Edited by jonuk76, 10 March 2014 - 06:01 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users